Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1995 Discovery - Rotary Coupler Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Discovery - Rotary Coupler Replacement Question

Hello, Everyone! Hope all are fine. Question: I bought a used Rotary Coupler, but the silver/gray tape ("sealing tape") on it is broken. The Electrical Troubleshooting Manual ("ETM") says "...if the sealing tape is broken it MUST NOT be used". Why? The ETM gives a note on a "rotary coupler centralise" process and directions on how to do that, but I'm not sure what that is for. Moreover, did I just waste my money on an unusable part? Does this "MUST NOT be used" warning relate to some sort of an SRS legal-issue (read "manufacturer liability") or is it an actual safety concern, and if so, why? As always, I appreciate the replies/information! Thanks!! - Joe.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:22 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Everyone - Well, no luck. I took off the airbag, pulled the steering wheel, changed out the rotary coupler, centralized it, followed all the directions and...still no horn. I reinstalled the steering wheel and the airbag, and reconnected everything. The only thing I gained was the experience of doing it - which will pay off if I have to do it again. So, Ladies and Gentlemen, what else could it be? Any ideas / suggestions / comments would be greatly appreciated. As always, Thanks - Joe.