Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1995 Discovery still no spark after 6 months

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1995 Discovery still no spark after 6 months

For the electronics experts, again your assistance please. Here is the latest on this sad and silly situation:

• The problem is now six months old. The last tests according to Rave showed a dead electronic ignition amplifier unit (again) and wrong voltage readings on the ignition coil-battery LT connections. From Batt + I got 12v readings instead of zero, and from Batt - I get zero volts instead of 12.
  • I replaced the ignition amplifier again and now I get 0 volts with ignition off and 12v from battery negative with ignition on. Also I read 12v from battery + with ignition off and 0 volts with ignition on.
  • Still absolutely zero spark from the coil to the engine.
  • I found an unconnected wire from one of the electronic units on the side of the relay assembly box above the front passenger footwell. See the photos:
1. Can you clever guys please identify from the photos the component it comes from and tell me where that almost 2ft white wire (it runs inside a black sleeve) has to be connected to?

2. It clearly showed that some connector had been crimped onto it. The last photo was taken after I had opened the end some more.

3. Am I correct to say that on the 1995 gasoline, manual shift Discovery neither the impact switch, nor the immobilizer prevents spark? The impact switch cuts out the fuel pump and the immobilizer cuts out the starter motor circuit?

4. I get fuel and the starter turns very well but I get no spark from the coil to the distributor. The pickup coil in the dsitributor has the correct impedance - which is the only test that I read about for that little unit inside the distributor.

Many thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails 1995 Discovery still no spark after 6 months-black-wire-black-sleeve-white-wire-inside-fact-coming-some-module-right-.jpg   1995 Discovery still no spark after 6 months-close-up-component-where-wire-attached..jpg   1995 Discovery still no spark after 6 months-close-up-component-where-wire-attached..jpg   1995 Discovery still no spark after 6 months-end-almost-two-ft.-long-wire.-before-i-opened-end-like-photo-sh.jpg  

Last edited by MonteroMan; 12-20-2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added facts
Old 12-21-2014, 07:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Isn't there a guy on here who completely bypassed his ignition system and installed an MSD unit instead?

Old 12-21-2014, 08:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Well-well...

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
Isn't there a guy on here who completely bypassed his ignition system and installed an MSD unit instead?
Thank you for the input Shift, you have my interest.

If the MSD unit has a distributor drive that interfaces correctly... but I suppose the supplier can verify that for me.

Do you have more knowledge of this? Does it have its own wiring, separate ignition switches, etc - totally independent?

If that ONE loose wire from that one electronic component in the photos MAY be the only problem I'll be very happy. Only if I knew what that component is and where the wire became undone.

However, the MSD system interests me of course.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

The only pure white wire I see in the Rave (which is unreliable) is from the ignition switch down to the fuse panel under the dash on the drivers side. Someone like fishEH who has a pre GEMS truck would have to respond because I have no idea what it goes to/from. D.U.I offers an HEI dizzy for Landy's. Performance Distributors « Performance Distributors

Old 12-21-2014, 10:38 PM
Pro Wrench

Here ya go. I took his wiring diagram and re did it in a way that was better for me.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/mo...install-69004/

Old 12-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Default This must be investigated

Here ya go. I took his wiring diagram and re did it in a way that was better for me.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/mo...install-69004/

Many thanks, gentlemen

The following immediately come to mind:
  1. The mods were done to running vehicles in good order. Mine already has a dead ignition system.
  2. Will installing the new ignition system completely bypass and ignore the old fault?
Some discussion will assist me to make up my mind. I have not read all the links yet, so maybe the answer will be there.

Thanks again. Still, if I only know what that little black box on the relay shelf is, and where that white (inside black) wire coming out of it goes to I'll be a a little more knowledgeable.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Pro Wrench

It seems as though he wired it to run parallel of the existing system. But he also left the stock system intact as a just incase. So it seems in your case it could work. Have you tried replacing the distributor? I don't remember reading if you did or not. If your pick up is shot it's hard to diagnose it since it works while running. Although I'm sure there are tests for it.
If you do this upgrade you'd be attacking your original problem from a different angle.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Thumbs up Attack!! Attack!!

It seems as though he wired it to run parallel of the existing system. But he also left the stock system intact as a just incase. So it seems in your case it could work. Have you tried replacing the distributor? I don't remember reading if you did or not. If your pick up is shot it's hard to diagnose it since it works while running. Although I'm sure there are tests for it.
If you do this upgrade you'd be attacking your original problem from a different angle.
There is one test only in RAVE for the pick-up coil inside the distributor and this one tested OK, if I remembr 5 ohm or something. But then as you say, can anyone have any faith in the RAVE electronics pages...

Of course if the pick-up coil is not sending out the signal to the ingnition coil the load certainly will not collapse and thence no HT spark back to the distributor.

I have bought so many new components to no avail that instead of buying a new distributor I'd rather go for this bypass system I think.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Another possibility?

What would the influence of the crankshaft position sensor be in the inability to spark?

Old 12-23-2014, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteroMan
What would the influence of the crankshaft position sensor be in the inability to spark?
No crank sensor on Lucas engines. The distributor handles it's function.

Quick Reply: 1995 Discovery still no spark after 6 months