Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1996 AA Yellow on BaT

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 12:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts
Default 1996 AA Yellow on BaT

Very cool find on BaT for all you (me) DI enthusiast. I would love to own this but no room in the stable.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-discovery-14/

Old 04-14-2020, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Whoever buys it better change out those seeping oil cooler lines ASAP or she'll just burst into flames. While it's not rusty body/frame wise I see a lot of other issues my 97 XD rust bucket doesn't have lol. Dash is curling, heater core, oil cooler lines, misc relays just hanging on the passenger side footwell, however it's a rare Eco Challenge D1 (not to be confused with the 97 XD) and I'm sure it'll go for $$$$$.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:07 AM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

I know these are 'rare', but what makes them special other than a paint scheme and painted wheels?

Yes, a non-sunroof, 5 speed, EFI is nice but....

Old 04-15-2020, 10:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
I know these are 'rare', but what makes them special other than a paint scheme and painted wheels?

Yes, a non-sunroof, 5 speed, EFI is nice but....
The paint and wheels and rarity I suppose. It isn't any more capable than any other D1 sold but it is unique because of those things. I don't think I have ever seen that style brush bar before though.

Eons ago there was a guy in town that had one and I could see it coming from a mile away. I knew what it was and when it passed by it just looked really cool. My black one didn't really stand out so much.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

LR is known for making limited edition models. It's just a limited run model, with unique one of a kind parts/options. The Eco Challenge D1, XD, Trek, and Kalahari models were all limited editions or as LR likes to call em Land Rover Special Vehicles. They were meant to reflect Camel Trophy LR's, or special events in which LR was part of. They have a unique history, and yep they stand out. To the true LR enthusiast they're priceless, but to a newbie to LR's = they're just yellow lol.

The 96 Eco Challenge D1 was cool (very limited #'s for dealerships basically to use for the event), but I prefer the 97 XD myself. The roof rack is truly rare as it's a low profile Safety Device rack, and LR was able to use it because they totally removed the OEM Roof Rack rails. My 97 XD has SafariGard F/R diff guards, front steering guard, TC guard (have never seen another one like it), and if she was from the south she'd be flawless. However Iowa took it's toll on her. Frame wise she is fine, but body wise = on the transplant list lol.

When I was 16 the LR dealership in San Antonio had an XD on the off road coarse. Like Stillruns said you could see it a mile away! I got my mom to stop in (she had an 89 RRC) and my brother and I checked it out. I fell in love with it instantly, but the nearly 40K price tag was WAY out of my reach lol. A week or so later it was gone, and later we found out it was rolled over!! Some teenagers were walking down the street & decided to hang off of it, and jump on it while it was parked on the off road coarse at an angle. Well those idiots got it to roll over onto it's side and of coarse they hauled butt. The Dealership had camera's aimed at the off road coarse and they figured out who was responsible, but the XD was a write off. A tech ended up buying it, and wheeling the hell out of it for many many many years. The damage wasn't really that bad and it was eventually fixed.

Last edited by Best4x4; 04-15-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:57 AM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

I don't think I'm a newbie anymore, but I still don't 'get' it. I'm weird though. Of course the other issue may be that, living in NYC, when I see a yellow car I think it is a taxi.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

LOL on the taxi thing, my g/f WAY back in the day called my AA Yellow Range Rover a "school bus" and I got very tired of hearing that and eventually sold it. LR just makes Special Vehicles in limited #'s and some people like em & some people don't. Camel Trophy is one of the things that got me hooked on LR's, La Ruta Maya Adventure, Eco Challenge, Trek, G4, and the interesting trip around the world in the 04 D2's.