Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

300tdi conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 300tdi conversion

Hello!

I am here just to share with you that I have almost - ended the conversion of my Discovery 1. Now it has a 300tdi with a diesel auto box. Everything purchased in England and shipped to my country. The whole process has taken about 18 months due to the difficult to find a low miles engine with an automatic box. I purchased a rolling chassis, and have been working in the transplant during the last three months....

In the first order of the engine, my seller "forgot" to include the gearbox, and I realized that right after 2 months of being shipped to my country in a consolidated container. It has been a painful experience, but now that I am testing the performance of the engine. I need to share it with someone else that would like to have an experience similar than mine.

The cost was very high, but since I filled the tank have drived about 60 miles and have used less than 1/8 of the tank.... that was impossible with the V8.

I can share my experience with anyone there that wants to ask any question.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Mudding

Will post them as soon as I take a few...... Right now I still have a lot of wires hanging in the engine bay because I do not want to cut them until I see that everything is OK.....

Have also installed some DIY shock mounts, turrets and a couple of things that may be of your interest.

Thanks for asking pics!!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

So what was the total cost?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
So what was the total cost?
Please do not ask that question... Do not want to review the numbers.

I think that I have spent between 6 to 8K, but now I have a spare 300tdi engine, gearbox, transfer box, another chassis, 4 rims, and a bunch of spare parts. Maybe the total cost will be in about 5K. That is expensive considering that I do not live in USA and I did a lot of work by myself.

In the cost I am also including a 3 inches lift kit, shocks, steel bumper with winch, roof fog lamps, and several other mods.

Maybe it is cheap considering all the things I did.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Team Owner

We estimate the swap to be around $10,000USD when all said and done here is the states.
Thats why most people dont do it, not worth it in the long run.

Glad it worked out for you and I am jealous.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribed...

Old 09-19-2012, 05:41 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, new here.
I just finished my 98 D1 auto 300tdi conversion myself.
It didn't cost 10k.. Lot less infact.
It seemed like a lot of work, but once you start pulling and cutting stuff out... It wasn't that bad.
Just remember to punch out the filler neck , as a diesel spout is larger than gas. I used an air chisel, as it was tough to drill out the stainless.
And if you reuse and modify the fuel pump ***. , don't put the strainer back in, as it will clog in cold weather.
Oh, and if it's an auto, you will have to modify the trans cooler line to go directly into the cylindrical cooler, as the tdi rad doesn't have fitting for the tranny cooler.
And don't let anyone tell you the wiring is tough.., cause it's not.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Team Owner

Thank you Momo.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Mudding

Well..... have no pictures yet, but right now the car is in the shop. I am upgrading the intercooler with a huge one that I have purchased in Ebay. Will also replace the fan clutch and put an electric fan with temp sensor. This process is becoming a bit difficult because even without the fan clutch and blades there is no enough room for the new fan and upgraded intercooler.

The radiator will be also upgraded and will use the one from a V8 because in the 300tdi, both, the intercooler and the radiator take the same space of the radiator of a V8.

Let's see what happens! maybe I will have to purchase a very flat fan to solve the issue and move forward.

Quick Reply: 300tdi conversion