Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

5 month old cracked Rotoflex

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
I think if you re-read you will notice that I said there is no difference between COLD gear oil and COLD gear oil. 85W-anything is the same 85 when cold. It doesn't matter if it is 85w90 or 85w145.
I have eliminated this as a possible cause. I am pursuing other causes.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
I think given that I 4 wheel on some pretty rocky terrain that may have caused this as well.
Could be. The rotoflex hangs lower than a u-joint and is a lot more likely to contact something that would damage it.
If you're doing a 2" or less suspension lift you could go ahead and get the cardan u-joint conversion without concern.

BTW, Britpart is just one of the aftermarket makers, there's also Allmakes, as well as others.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the arrows point forward but please get someone else to confirm before you do that as I have forgotten myself which way is correct. BTW my replacements have been Allmake and I have not been particularly impressed with them. Next time I replace I am just going to shell out for the UJ conversion. Good luck.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After Spike let me know that the 98 has a factory shaft that does not use the rotoflex, I plan on pricing one of them thru a local recycler here in Pittsburgh. They always have great prices on used parts.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I have eliminated this as a possible cause. I am pursuing other causes.
You're welcome.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by jafir
You're welcome.
Not because of you, rather because I talked to 13 fellow technicians who all concluded fluid alone cannot cause this type of damage.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you have to put it in so that the thick part of the rubber is being compressed not stretched, if that makes sense to anyone.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I asked Clay at my local dealer, he asked a technician who informed me which way it goes as well. I will take photos as I do this to help the next guy.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious what your opinions are as to the cause of this:

if the driveshaft turns counter clockwise in drive then you have it in right, I don't know which way it turns so someone will have to check. thats assuming I can see the pic correctly, it appears the thick part of the roto is top center correct?

Last edited by tweakrover; 02-28-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ***** and Clunk in the Trunk

Lovin the side thread on oil....

As for the ball joint on the upper link to axel... If it was worn enough to allow or cause major / noticable deflections in rotation of the axel then you'd have noticed that a long time ago. It would sound and feel rediculous like major banging and clunking.

When checking if it is worn, if you notice there is no protective rubber boot between the ball end and the threaded shaft end then you have lost all lubrication of the ball and it is just wearing away.

This is the boot on the ball joint ...

Name:  DSC03997.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  80.8 KB

This is the old one I replaced... notice no boot...

Name:  DSC03995.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  79.1 KB

Also, when on your back, if you can push up on or move slightly the ball joint assembly then it is toast... again you'd most likely hear that as a clunk in the rear

Like with the oil thang, look elsewhere or maybe like Tom said, it could just be an inferior part.

For the type of terrain you have out there and the lift you want you'll probably have the best results with the Double Cardan rear prop shaft. Check GBR, Tom Woods and folks like that... should help a lot with those vibrations too.

I have always seen the rotoflex oriented with the lettering on the rubber facing forward... the side shown here...

Name:  DSC04001.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  107.1 KB

However, on close inspection I can not see any difference on either side of the rubber joint to signify directional orientation. The little arrows around the outer edge of the rotoflex just signify which direction the bolts are inserted.

Last edited by Cosmic88; 02-28-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 5 month old cracked Rotoflex