Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'95 Disco Bent & Broken Push Rod...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:18 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '95 Disco Bent & Broken Push Rod...

Hey everyone!

I'm new to LR, but not being a shade-tree mechanic. I bought a Disco with an unknown engine issue. It would run, but sounded like it had a bad valve train rattle and it lacked power. I could tell by its sluggishness (and glowing cats) that it had clogged cats, so I had new ones installed. This helped with the power, but not the valve train rattle (I guess the damage was already done by the PO - don't know how long he drove it in this condition).

I only put a few miles on it, but realized the heads would likely need to come off. I did a compression test, and all cylinders were 140ish except one, which was 60. I pulled the valve cover off today from that side, and to my amazement saw one push rod not against the rocker arm. I was able to pull it right out of the engine... Well, about 2/3 of it, anyhow. It was bent and broken.

That's where it sits now. My question is, anyone have any thoughts on how I could possibly get the other end of the push rod out of the engine without removing the head? I was toying with the idea of just putting another push rod in, putting it back together, and giving it a whirl.

Of course the other alternative is to pull the heads and have them professionally reworked. I know this is obviously the better idea given the he!! that this engine obviously endured while having clogged cats, but I'm lazy and its Winter.

Any input would be appreciated. The vehicle has 160k miles, and is in otherwise excellent condition.

Thanks! Adam.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Should only need to remove the intake without removing the head. Then your only on the hook for a valley pan gasket. Cut the push-rod, remove. Thorough check of remaining valve-train.

Last edited by ihscouts; 12-10-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by shreksbrother
Hey everyone!

I'm new to LR, but not being a shade-tree mechanic. I bought a Disco with an unknown engine issue. It would run, but sounded like it had a bad valve train rattle and it lacked power. I could tell by its sluggishness (and glowing cats) that it had clogged cats, so I had new ones installed. This helped with the power, but not the valve train rattle (I guess the damage was already done by the PO - don't know how long he drove it in this condition).

I only put a few miles on it, but realized the heads would likely need to come off. I did a compression test, and all cylinders were 140ish except one, which was 60. I pulled the valve cover off today from that side, and to my amazement saw one push rod not against the rocker arm. I was able to pull it right out of the engine... Well, about 2/3 of it, anyhow. It was bent and broken.

That's where it sits now. My question is, anyone have any thoughts on how I could possibly get the other end of the push rod out of the engine without removing the head? I was toying with the idea of just putting another push rod in, putting it back together, and giving it a whirl.

Of course the other alternative is to pull the heads and have them professionally reworked. I know this is obviously the better idea given the he!! that this engine obviously endured while having clogged cats, but I'm lazy and its Winter.

Any input would be appreciated. The vehicle has 160k miles, and is in otherwise excellent condition.

Thanks! Adam.

go fishing with a strong magnet, block and heads are ali, so the only thing that should stick is the broken push rod, assuming it has not gone free range in the valley, in which case it is manifold off to sort.

Cheers

Pedronz

Old 12-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can just pull the intake and fish it out. Something caused it to break though so make sure you don't have a bent or stuck valve on that cylinder.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Because of damage you haven't even thought of, the intakes have to come of, inspect each
and every valve train part including lifter and cam lobe surfaces then remove the broken rod, if it hasn't fallen down into the oil pan.
You may find a number of parts needing replacement.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At 160K and existing damage, you very well are on the way to the Infamous Money Pit, especially if it has seen extended abuse from someone who was tired of spending money on it.

Keep in mind they are aluminum engine blocks like everybody has said. They tend to warp, crack, blow head gaskets if severely overheated.

You may get off cheap, but highly unlikely. Good Luck with it.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:06 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for all of the fast replies. Glad to know it should just be pulling the intake...Much easier than the pain of the heads. I am going to try the magnet idea first, but I'm guessing it'll be floating around under the intake somewhere.

As far as what caused it, my thought is that the tremendous heat and backpressure on the exhaust valves from the clogged cat. Hope the valve isn't bent.

$500 and a shotgun for the Disco (welcome to the South), and hopefully a $6 push rod. Would be a great deal if that's all it is!

Old 12-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your cheapest way out then is to fix as little as you can get by with and run it as long as you can, then sell the Aluminum Block and main body panels doors and hood for the scrap value of the AL.

Enjoy it and dump it.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You weren't listening or maybe you are in denial, but you are going to have some other parts that will need attention and the sooner you pull the intakes off the sooner you will have a better idea.
I have seen flattened cam lobes cause what you have and that great increases the parts list.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:29 PM
4th Gear

It wasn't a matter of "not listening", but a matter of clicking 'reply' before seeing some of the posts referring to pulling the intake to inspect for further damage.

And you're an administrator on this board?

Quick Reply: '95 Disco Bent & Broken Push Rod...