Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

96 Disco "build"

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And the crown Vic made it! Bad ***!

Old 08-03-2013, 06:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this sure got off topic haha. Wondering if yall can give me some help? Trucks runs smooth as ice at idle and when given some throttle, runs smooth through first gear and as soon as i shift into second, it bogs down. At first I thought coil pack, so I replaced the entire $400 rail. I had a new alternator so I put that on and I'm still having the same issue. Truck sounds/acts like its noy getting enough fuel or spark. Fuel pump or filter? Mechanic tested the MAF and said it was all over the place, maybe its that? Whrn running, if I unplug the MAF, the motor bogs down for a second then goes back to normal. Any help would be awesome! !

Old 08-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, Motorvated. I saw your question (although you might've posted it in the wrong section). I recently (April 2013) had similar problems with my 1997 Discovery.

The mechanic diagnosed my problems to be caused by very low fuel pressure and a bad idle control stepper. He replaced the fuel pump. Also, he replaced the idle air valve/actuator and modified the throttle position sensor.

The main symptoms that alerted me of trouble were the loud sound that my engine was not getting enough fuel, and the really rough/high idle. Eventually the car got very loud (I described it as sounding like Darth Vader) and just cut out. Fortunately, I was on my way to the mechanic's shop. I got it to run again briefly, just long enough to pull onto the mechanic's lot! Pretty lucky...

There, but for the grace of the Land Rover gods, go I.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Pressure at the fuel rail read 22, new pumps on the way! Also put in a new fuel filter. Hopefully the Disco will be up and running by friday. Got the lift waiting to be done!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Pro Wrench

Good deal man. I have a box of bearings and 4.12 gears waiting to go in with a Detroit and TT. Also have a set of brand spanking new Ashcroft rear axles ready to go in with TF HD flanges....BUT...I have to wait until the 16th to set up the diffs when my buddy is in town to help with the diff build. Its killing me!

Old 08-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Im a ways off from doing all of that, though its in the plans. first id just like to get it registered and on a few camping trips! By Next Saturday im hoping to have it lifted and on the road. My attention now turns to the interior. I need to fix the drivers side seat, possibly get a set of seat covers and finish the stereo.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Pro Wrench

Its a long road. Ive been building mine for almost 4 years now!

Old 08-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Three Wheeling

YES!!! changed out the fuel pumo and the truck runs great! Now to do plugs/wires, oil change and then the fun will begin! Lift going on in the AM, pictures to follow. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motorvated...

With new fuel pump installed, you might experience high idle again. Once my Dscvry's fuel pump was replaced, and the fuel pressure was correct, its idle went crazy. You might just need to adjust idle. I had bad idle air actuator and needed to replace it. After new fuel pump, also my throttle position sensor needed to be modified.

You mention oil change next. The thread "End All answer to stupid oil questions" will help. That oil & oil filter have worked well for me. I switched to them abt a year ago. My understanding is that Rotella Diesel 15W/40 is better for our Dscvry engine b/c of its higher zinc metal content, without being too expensive.

This week, though, a mechanic recommended Pentosin motor oil to me. It's German, so I'm not sure if it's pricey. If/when I try Pentosin brand, I'll post comments on the motor oil thread.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks. My buddy the LR tech said to use the Rotella as well, but he runs 50 weight and says that his engine loves it. I'm not sure if inshould go 40 or 50 now!

Lift update.. got the front end on. The rear, well I gave up for the day. When I took the truck to have the 33s put on, the kid torqued the rear lugs so tight we couldn't get them off in the back. I took it to the shop, told the owner what happened and he said "ya that kids a monkey, we fired him". It then took him 2 hours to loosen the rear lugs!! Wtf!? It was a scene. Anyway, the front end loiks nice and the rear will be done Tuesday morning.

Quick Reply: 96 Disco "build"