Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'96 Initial Assesment

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Initial Assesment

I purchased my first Rover on Saturday (1996 Discovery SE7), and I've been digging around in it pinpointing all the trouble areas that I noticed before I bought it. So far I have found:

First, the lights:

SRS, ABS, Check Engine, and Service Engine are on.

Under the hood:

Power steering leak, appears to originate from the steering box. Small bubbles appear in the fluid after prolonged use of the system, but disappear after several minutes of idling.
At least two different oil leaks, one near the firewall side of the engine, one near the radiator side (specifically, near the water pump from what I can tell)
Air intake leak. Blocking off the air intake (I have only tried it in front of the filter box so far) has no effect on the engine at all.
Squishy and somewhat underpowered brakes.

Driver side door:

Window contacts other internal parts when rolling down, which in turn disconnected the inside door latch release. Outside release still functional.
Power lock is non-functional.

Front passenger door:

Clunking noise when rolling the window down.
Door does not unlock unless the locking tab or key is held at the maximum end of the "unlocked" range.

Rear passenger door, driver side:

Window regulator roller damaged/destroyed, unrolling the window results in the window dropping freely after a certain point, and the regulator arm must be reset into position.

Rear passenger door, right side:

Window is non-functional
Power lock is non-functional

Rear door:

Similar locking problem as the front passenger door.
Rear window wiper is non-functional.

Additional:

Sunroofs not functional, mechanical reasons.
Driver side electric seat adjustment is non-functional.
Rear seat environmental controls do not appear to function, but I have not fully tested that system. (somewhat of a moot point, since 99% of the time I am the only person in my vehicle)
Various fascia is cracked, damaged, or broken in some manner.

Now for the good:

I drove it from Boulder to Loveland (approx 25 miles) with no issues. The temperature stayed just under half the whole time, even with the AC running (which was nice and cold.)
Center diff lock is fully functional.
Engine runs very smooth and has decent acceleration.
Transmission shifts smoothly.

So, it looks like I got myself a hearty sampling of various Disco problems. I bought it as a project and eventual replacement for my current vehicle, and for $799.59 (I found 41 cents in the ash tray) I don't think I did too bad. Hopefully those won't be my famous last words.

Aside from the "major service for high milers" list my first point of focus is going to be the PS leak and the sunroofs (they do not latch down, and the Rover lives outside.) I will be getting an ultragauge for it sometime soon.

Last edited by Triple; 10-03-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats. best truck ever if it's black.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Pro Wrench

besides that, all normal problems. im sure you'll find plenty others.

any rust in floorpans or alpines or other spots. you may want to clean that up first.

i'd do the windows and sunroofs first assuming the brakes are good enough. You do have an ABS job/decision to make and probably new pads and possibly rotors.

Unfortunately any window that does not operate properly will need a re-haul (motor or regulator/wheel) but you'll pretty much need to get it open and see what's the problem.

if sunroofs leaks, it's probably either the drainage tubes or seal. Is there any apparent leak. Does you headliner sag? You'll most likely need to remove the headliner if there is any leaking.

oil and power steering leaks are common of course. they can also deteriorate the bushings. how does the truck ride?

power steering fluid kills me but the box is often a culprit. are the bolts on the top plate tight. You really need to clean it up and then see where it's leaking and if it can be tightened or needs to be replaced. How's it steering. Nice and tight or loose. You can adjust that a little on top of the box too.

You'll need to decide what finish you want. Used, original or aftermarket parts, performance parts. there are different sources for all of course. good, bad and ugly.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Pro Wrench

if you're a smartphone guy get an app and bluetooth connection instead of the ultragauge IMO.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just ordered the ultragauge today. Is the app better I have a GS3?

Old 10-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Pro Wrench

ultragauge is great. i have one even if i don't know what anything really means except engine temps.

i like the idea of having an integrated smartphone that does everything...music/phone/gps and truck reporting. that's all.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Pro Wrench

by the way i have a crappy smart phone, no real gps and no interior including stereo.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

welcome to the madness. if it is nearly rust free you got yourself a good deal. download the RAVE manual and get to work.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 AM
TReK
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

$800 for a mechanically sound D1 (thus far) is a good deal. RAVE is the workshop manual and incredibly useful to keep these trucks on the road. Come here anytime you have a problem and you'll find folks willing to work the problem with you.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:28 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, it is black.

This Disco lived in Nevada before making it's way to Colorado, so it is almost completely rust free.

I guess I'm just not used to my rover yet when it comes to the brakes. I drove a few other discos around today, and the brakes felt the same as mine. I will still check into it and make sure everything is good.

As far as the sunroofs go, the front one has a damaged seal, and neither of them clamp down against their seals. The headliner is in surprisingly good shape. I think I'm going to have to remove the headliner to fix the sunroofs either way.

The truck seems to ride just fine, and the steering is a little loose, but stable, and it tracks fairly straight.

I downloaded the RAVE manual already, I've just been cleaning everything that I can on the truck and making my to do list.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll be around these forums quite a bit while I my Rover up to par.

Quick Reply: '96 Initial Assesment