Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 DISCO Just a couple of things

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coldstart
I have no reverse lights and My truck is a standard shift is this typically just an adjustment on the switch or replacement
ive noticed the same thing on my 5spd truck, i have reverse lights only if i put it in reverse and push the stick way over to the side while in gear.
my hunch is it needs adjustment - or is worn down too low and needs to be replaced... but i havent crawled under there yet as its been pretty low on my priority list.

let us know what you find! im definitely curious

Old 01-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coldstart
It was actually working a little but I took off everything in the centre consol ,sprayed all the working parts down with PB Blaster left it for a few days then oiled every joint and sliding part with transmission fluid over the course of a few days and everything started working a lot better after day three of putting the oil to it. I also realized that the cap or stopper that holds down the ball bearing in place for the diff shifter was missing so I had to move it even more to get the diff to engage, I solved this by putting in a piece of gas line hose about 1 and 1/4 inch just below the fat part of the shifter to hold the ball in it place in the shift rod. This made a hugh difference ,I also did not put the metal plate back on over the diff shifter box so I could have more movement ,I put a good thick piece of rubber over top and put the skrews through it . I believe it is one of those things that will have to be done yearly any way.Also the more you use it the better it will stay working .

I wish I knew what you are referring to. I completely tore mine down and rebuilt the linkage and still had to replace the frozen up switch to get the light to work. I did extensive postings on here regarding that ordeal.