Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

97 Disco SE

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with pinky toe. Would love to see some pics of the worst of it. My 95RRC had it in the front and read wheel arches from what I could see, worse than most but I got it with dead air ride for 1500. Converted to springs in my parking lot drove for 2 years and sold it for 4800 on eBay. Not a bad deal.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Mudding
Default My work today!

Here is what I uncovered today! This is before I started cutting the bad stuff out.
goes all the way upto the firewall
needs rotated 90 degrees left
just surface rust

Rear Arches (these might be tough without repair panels)

sorry there oriented weird but you get the picture

After doing a little bit of cutting

cardboard cut to size that I need for the welded piece
sorry it needs to be rotated 90 degrees right
from inside wheel well

I plan on welding in two pieces one on the inner wheel well panels and a second inside on the floor, does that sound like a good idea or should I jsut do one on the inside of the floor? The reason I was thinking two was because I had to tear apart the plastic inside the well to take the front quarter off. Of course with much seam sealant on all edges. I have 16 gauge steel ready for that. Any suggestions are appreciated. I have a lot of work ahead of me. But it does make me feel good to know my floor behind the front seats are much better than most peoples.

Here's to busted knuckles!

Josh

Old 07-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Mudding

On another note, how the heck do I take those plastics rivets out without breaking them?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Mudding

U can order those plastic rivets online from Atlantic British. Cheap. Get new ones before u take off the old. That front rust is pretty common most don't know it's there until it rains or carpet turns rust color. Seal off metal then patch and tar or something durable over it. U will be fine. Holes are larger than avg but not uncommon. Refer to the other guy that has more rust repair experience. The rear wheel arches and jams are super common. Years ago all cars rusted out like that. Thank Goodness the bodies are aluminum it hides all of it with the doors shut unless u are really looking!

Old 07-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Mudding
Default New work today!

So I ended up getting some 16 gauge plate and just tacking it in for now. I welding a piece if angle channel to the wall so the patch piece could rest on a platform in the bottom right of the picture. But as you can see in the last picture I am going to have a problem, its rusted so bad I am not sure how to close it up. My thought was expanding window foam, then priming it and painting it. Any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails 97 Disco SE-img_3185.jpg   97 Disco SE-img_3186.jpg   97 Disco SE-img_3187.jpg  
Old 07-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Mudding
Default Thanks

Thanks kman! Look at the new pictures.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Lookin good!

Im on to the rear, so Ill have some pics of what I do with those door sills.

R.e. the big hole, you can maybe use bondo fiberglass resin and either fiberglass cloth or metal mesh?

Old 07-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Mudding

Whether it is good or not I actually used the great stuff expanding foam and then covered with fiberglass cloth and duraglass, then sanded and enamel painted.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The metal behind it will continue to rust away. I would have cut away what was bad and slapped another piece of plate in there upright and boxed it in so to say.

Lots of ways to "fix" them. I don't care for the expanding foam except for a last ditch temporary plug. My son bought a Acura that some idiot used a lot of expanding foam and sanded and painted and in no time it was falling apart. I was glad when he junked that POS.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Mudding

Danny Lee, I know it will continue to rust. There is no way possible with the vehicle I have (which I traded for) to completely get rid of all the rust. For me it is only a matter of prolonging it long enough to get some use and fun out of it. My next Disco I will search out to make sure there is little to no rust to begin with.