Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

'97 Discovery dies after driving...fuel challenges? - help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 03:15 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 Discovery dies after driving...fuel challenges? - help!

Hello all,

I have a 1997 5 speed manual Discovery. The car has trouble starting if I've been doing a few errands in town (starts and stops...engine shut off then starting back up). I can usually start it after a couple (all right a few attempts) in the morning, and usually no problem in the afternoon when I come home, but if I have to stop for groceries, gas, kid pick up, etc. I usually have a hell of a time starting it again.

I've read many posts with similar problems. Fuel filter has been changed. Fuel pump is ordered and should arrive on Friday (yes, I should have rush ordered it!). I ordered the Replacement REPL314503 Fuel Pump - Electric, Direct Fit 1997 Land Rover Discovery SD 8 Cyl 4.0L from Carparts.com. $80. I'm not 100% this is the right part? This is for models WITHOUT Advance Evaporative Loss (??). I don't know if my model fits this description.(?)

Today, like most days, I had sputtering, hesitation, and jerkiness when accelerating from 2nd to 3rd to 4th+ and then had a head wind and found the truck jerking against the wind and wanting to loose power. It's noticeable when RPS are hittting 2500-3000. Today as I down shifted and rolled around the corner to park at my home for lunch, the car completely died. From past experience with this, I usually can't start it for an hour or so until it cools down. I haven't even tried as I'm staying put for the rest of the day.

I just checked the rail line schrader valve and got it to squirt gas and some pressure. did this 2-3 times, then connected a bike pump for pressure (about 20 lbs. I've heard 35 lbs is optimal, but I likely lost a few lbs when I got gas to spray out. I will say, the spray initially was nothing terribly HIGH in pressure IMO... more like a medium squeeze to a common spray water bottle. A clue perhaps?

One other note: on occasion when I DO get the car started after a few minutes (an hour in the parking lot), it chugs, bucks, hesitates, and kicks/backfires....so while it's doing this, I pump the gas peddle to keep it alive and start inching forward, usually drop it into 2nd and give'er hell. She slowly comes back to life and off we go (straight home). Now, once this happens, I'ved noticed a "knocking" or heavy "ticking" coming from the rail area or top of the head area. This sound goes away by the time I get home or drive for 3-4 minutes. I've only heard this 4-5 times in the dozens and dozens of times I've experienced this problem. Is this an injector issue/sound, with a lack of fuel in the lines?

Is there much to question or do until Friday when my pump arrives?

Thanks everyone!

Craig
craigalmaguer@gmail.com
530-228-1895