Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

About to replace rotors, last minute advice and where to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to replace rotors, last minute advice and where to buy.

Hello all, after being unable to find out what is going on with the squeaking coming from my brakes (changed brake pads, front bearings, etc.) I've planned to change out both of the front rotors. I only get the squeaking after the car is warm and coming to slow stops, never coming to fast stops but it definitely feels like the brake pads I put on are already significantly worn down and they've only been on for a few months.

As far as I know it must be my rotor correct? It appears as though one of them is warped but it doesn't seem too bad, still I'd rather just get it replaced and have me and my mechanic do so sooner rather than later if so.

My last question would be, does anyone have any suggestions for any rotors / brake pads combo deals online or have any affiliates tey would recommend? I thought there was a thread on that before, but I'm sarching now and can't find it.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Brake pads and rotors are of personal choice.
My truck has OEM rotors and Duralast brake pads and I have no problems.
Just buy whatever you can afford.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a set of (4) drilled/slotted rotors with pads off ebay for under $200 shipped

Old 01-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the rotor/pads combo deal and ProLine calipers from Rovers North. The rotor/pad combo is around 100 bucks per axle.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

If you haven't started your brake job yet, I have a question for you. What about your wheel bearings and swivels, when were they last serviced? Your bearing have to be cleaned/greased or replaced every 30,000 miles as well as your swivels, so are you going to be doing them also?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I've used pads and rotors from both O'reilly and NAPA without any issues.
You'll probably want to replace your hub seals while you have the hubs off. RTC3511 are the seals of choice if you off-road.
If it's your only car I'd also have a couple of hub bearing sets on hand in case you find you need them after the hub is apart.
Timken SET37, SKF BR37, *** KIT38 or National A-37

Old 02-01-2011, 12:59 PM

Definitely maintain a spare set of wheel bearings on hand along with the grease as in a kit in the car. If a wheel bearing starts to go it is a very short distance/time frame before it welds itself to the stub axle. Then the effort and cost is magnified, especially if it requires a tow and RUSH SHIPPING charges. Change both bearings at a time (my opinion).

Tom, what is best source for those seals?

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 02-01-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Any of the usual suspects.
I like that Rovafarm will ship USPS priority mail. You can get a fair bit in a small flat rate box.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:28 PM

Cool, when I get a new rubber hickey for the rear prop shaft, I'll get some of those RTC 3511's as well.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice all, my bad I haven't responded in a few days.

Mike, yes, recently replaced my bearings with my mechanic (a little over two months?), and he noticed that one of them went in a little easily but no issues we encountered, that's what had me thinking that it must be my rotors. I haven't started yet (just got rotors in the mail off eBay, already slotted and all) probably won't until Friday so any other advice will be useful. If it helps, it seems like it takes a bit of time(the car to get warm) for the screeching noises to start, and they only occur doing stops under around 30mph. They don't occur if I'm turning and braking around that speed, although it will occur if I'm going extremely slowly while turning (I.e., pulling into a driveway, etc.)

All of this made me conclude it was the rotors, but again, you all have helped me out and saved me cash time and time again so I'm always willing to listen.

Anti, would that help in my noise issue now? I've got a bit of money in my pocket, I'm trying to budget well over the next month (I pay for most of my own things and am a college student so things can get tight ), so if it can wait a month or so that would be better, and the annoyance issue of having to remove the hub and redo isn't too high as my mechanic is a friend and willing to help out for a more than reasonable price.

Quick Reply: About to replace rotors, last minute advice and where to buy.