Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Another Newbie - Timing Cover Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:27 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Newbie - Timing Cover Leak

Just picked up a decent 99 Discovery I, but it has leak from timing cover. Have downloaded manual and started removal process. Still working on loosening fan, but my question is the oil pan bolts. The manual indicates to remove the front 2 bolts and loosed two more on each side of pan. The trouble is the front 2 bolts on my pan are not bolts, but appear to be studs with bolts holding pan. The cover cannot be removed forward with studs there. Has anyone run across this and is it possible to remove studs without breaking them in block. Or will I actually have to drop the whole oil pan. I was hoping to not have to do this as it is supposedly not required. Anyones experiences or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you need to drop the oil pan

Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 AM
7th Gear

Are you sure, it is a D1 and the manual indicates it should be able to be done without the pan removal. Was hoping someone had similar experience and was able to remove studs, but worst case, as you indicate the pan will have to be dropped. Too bad as it adds a lot of work and new gasket and oil change. Thanks for reply.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

all I can tell you is on a DII you have to drop the pan because they use two stud instead of bolts on the timing cover. from what you describe it sound like the same deal.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:32 AM
7th Gear

Thanks again. Mine must be just on verge of changeover as mine has studs, but still has oil lines connected outside of cover, which would allow cover removal without dropping pan. But studs are the issue.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:58 PM
7th Gear

After having another look, bit the bullet and dropped the pan and it had no pan gasket (just RTV sealant) so it's been off before. Have cover off and starting cleaning and install process. Thanks again.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thorsfar
After having another look, bit the bullet and dropped the pan and it had no pan gasket (just RTV sealant) so it's been off before. Have cover off and starting cleaning and install process. Thanks again.
Factory spec is a flavor of RTV, usually white. Use the Ultra Grey or Ultra Black when you put it back on.

Gasket's are available but not reccomended

Old 10-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

You can use ultra grey or ultra black,, or right stuff? Whick is oil gasket in a cheez wiz can by permatex

Old 10-26-2013, 07:45 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for info, used the ultra black for pan and permatex 2 for cover gasket. All back together and seems to be holding. But have a radiator leak on left side just below upper transmission connection. Was on a roll, but was told that rad might have a leave. Have tried some stop leak, but sourcing a radiator shipped to Canada. Amazing that I can order one from Houston cheaper than I can get on line from Canada.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

There is a company on eBay sells new aluminum around$220 shipped?

Quick Reply: Another Newbie - Timing Cover Leak