Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Axle swap's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:30 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle swap's?

It's probably sacrilege but im curious to see if anybody has done one. Lets say i can handle the fab work, the parts would be cheaper and the world of rims would open up. Yes the drive shafts might cost more to make and if i went with older axles i wouldn't have ABS. I'd guess i'd have to deal with a speed sensor issue but im not sure. It seems like a slippery slope but with enough heat and effort im guessing you could replace the entire drivetrain around the T-case. Has anyone done this?

Old 09-23-2010, 05:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know Toddco is making flange adapters for the dana 60 (http://www.toddcosuspensions.com/laroda60adfl1.html), but I never heard of anyone doing that swap....Id probably be heading that direction myself if I didnt dump a ton of money on ARB's and new HD axles an gears on mine. I think the more common swap is Toyota axles but im not sure witch ones there using. I really hate reffering you this way but Discoweb has some good info on there site on what guys are upgrading to....

Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

DiscoWeb and Pirate are the two sites where you'll find the most extensive information on axle swaps. It's very common.
Just read.. EXTENSIVELY, before asking questions.
If you're thin skinned or easily insulted don't bother.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the info. I now a drivetrain swap sounds pretty silly coming from a guy who can't afford rims but in my area you can come across a wrecked donor vehicle for the same or less money then the rims and tires.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:40 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

look into using an old Jeep grand wagoneer as the donor vehicle...they have f/r dana44s you can pick up cheap and they're both off set to the passenger side.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

For your D1? So you want to make the axles as stupid as DII axles?
Dana 44's aren't full floating axles.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:59 AM
TReK

but dana 44s are stronger than our axles. I think if you kept tire size to 33" and below you wouldn't have to worry about breaking them.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not been on the other sites (because of the way they treat folks over there at both of the aforementioned 4x4 sites) but I haven't seen anyone discuss this before on here since I joined back in Feb or March. It is talked about all the time on my Jeep forums but so far everyone here seems to be happy with the stock axle performance. Someone correct me if I am wrong. BTW what axles do we have under our Discos? LOL. I have had so many other problems and little things to fix I have never worried about my axles other than to make sure they are taken care of and lubed properly. Sorry to hi-jack.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:31 PM
TReK

discomedic, LR makes their own axles as far as I know. They are fine if you keep tire size 31" or below. I plan on running 33's and will have to upgrade shafts and spider gears when they brake...upgrading spider gears gives me an excuse to install a locker

Old 09-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Quick Reply: Axle swap's?