Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Back in business!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Back in business!

So I finally got Claire semi-back. Meaning I can work on her, just not driver her till the end of the school year. So.. I replaced the head unit and all 4 speakers with Pioneer! And I attempted to change the headliner alone.. I got it out using the DIY on the sticky but after I scrubbed off all the orange foam gunk I am stuck. I bought $30 worth of headliner glue (2 Pints) and used a rolling paint brush to apply it to the back board. I laid the headliner material on and started in the middle and worked outwards. Problem is it didn't stick. I let it sit for an hour and a half and when I came back to baby-tug it it peeled off like a banana peel. The headliner material is undamaged but I have glue clumps on my back board which I had to scrape off again.. What brand headliner glue should I get and how do I apply it properly?

Old 04-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if you'll like this option, but the previous owner of mine just scraped all the glue gunk off and painted the back board to match the interior. Really no complaints from my end, other than he could have done a better job scraping off the glue gunk. Looks fine, otherwise. Pretty sure a lot of people on here have done something similar. At least one person even painted theirs with a chalkboard type material, so it can be drawn on.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude just say no to fabric. If not for the fact that it will always sag again its a pain in the ***. After you wire brush it down. Take a sanding pad to it to smooth it all over. From there use paint, use primer, use a diy roll on rhino liner or do like me and have it line x'ed. I haven't had the time to reinstall mine but it looks great.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:34 AM
Pro Wrench

That sounds good but all the price quotes I did at the time (about 3 months ago) was $100+ for that. Instead I bought $30 worth of headliner material plus $30 of glue. So that's $60 for me to do all that myself. Yes I wasted, well not wasted but misused, the $30 of glue but oh well my mistake. I plan on buying 2 cans of 3m super duty adhesive spray from Auto Zone. From what I hear that stuff works. I would go the spray paint route on the board but I already bought the foam haha maybe next time..10 years?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just leave the sucker out all together, what the heck do you need it for? If you just got to cover it glue cork right to the metal dude. I like mine naked like it is is.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:28 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Naked is always more fun and less maintenance.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's a Landy look like without a headliner? Is it just the white paneling and wires showing?

Old 04-26-2011, 05:39 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by honda50r
What's a Landy look like without a headliner? Is it just the white paneling and wires showing?
look in the how to there are pics.

this is exactly why i painted mine instead of doing fabric again. it's just a PITA. i don't like dealing with problems with solutions that can at one point fail again. solve it with paint let it be. move on.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're gonna use the material the 3m stuff is what you want. Only spray a bit at a time. Let it tack up and then spread the fabric evenly on. Make sure there are no wrinkles etc and Work your way out that way. Keep us posted.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Pro Wrench

Hey guys sorry to disappoint but a naked Claire is not what I want haha. But I finished all the gluing saturday and so far only reinstalled the 3 rear air vents. I let it sit in the garage since and haven't touched it again yet. And I did use the 3m headliner adhesive, not the super adhesive one though. My walmart didn't sell it haha. I'll post pics of my work so far later. But question: is it a PITA to put back in??

Oh and how do I cut our the sunroofs? I stepped in them to do the gluing because I was thinking of cutting them out. I saw how Cosmic left his, bc I used his write up haha, but I like my roofs. So should I leave an inch border and fold it back on itself like I did the sides?

Quick Reply: Back in business!