Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Back in business!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Couldn't you just cut a big x through them and then fold back the big resultant triangles? More material on the back end just means it'll hold better right?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny, I was in class and I was thinking about that myself.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

one bit of advice I'll pass along too is that you dont want to cut the material too close into the corners. With the stretch of the material you need to leave about 1/2 " from the corners so when you fold the sides over onto the top side of the board you won't see the headboard exposed in the corners. In fact a few cuts (relief cuts) at the corners can help relieve material stretch / stress and should help prevent the material from releasing from its bond.

The big problem with headliners is almost never the glue... it is the foam backing deteriorating over time.

Glad you got your girlfriend back.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So you fixed the diff's and stuff?

Did you get the CDL working?

You should write up a do not do this tutorial for new owners to show the damage you did by rocking it from forward to reverse trying to get it unstuck because the CDL did not work, might help some of them learn from your mistake. What was the total outlay for that lesson? Or am I being rude by asking that?

We can all profit from the mistakes of others if we learn what not do.

Old redneck proverb.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
So you fixed the diff's and stuff?

Did you get the CDL working?

You should write up a do not do this tutorial for new owners to show the damage you did by rocking it from forward to reverse trying to get it unstuck because the CDL did not work, might help some of them learn from your mistake. What was the total outlay for that lesson? Or am I being rude by asking that?

We can all profit from the mistakes of others if we learn what not do.

Old redneck proverb.
Yeah I fixed the differential, and it was a good 7 hour journey into the unknown haha. Sure I had the RAVE but pictures and actually doing it is a BIG difference, but we all already knew that right?
The CDL is still a no, I tried to follow your pictures but I couldn't even get the center console off. The stupid rivets don't want to budge. I'll get around to it though, let me finish re-installing the headliner first.

Sure I'll make a thread if Spike actually stickies it! Imagine that, the only thread stickied for WHAT NOT TO DO.. *laughs in my head*
$2500 for the Rover, $70 for gas, $1,345,976 for the road work and ditches in Mississippi, $135 for the differential, 7 hours of labor..priceless.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

get a drill and drill the rivets out.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Pro Wrench

It seems so simple, yet when I try it is a catastrophe! Somebody want to teach me?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Did Danny tell you to use a center punch? Would probably make life a lot easier. Keep you on dead center with the rivets. Center pinch them. Drill them out with a bit just a HAIR bigger than the rivets. Push all the crap out. Service the Cdl, replace with new rivets borrowing shop teachers pop rivet gun.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Pro Wrench

Oh.. I had totally forgotten
*facepalm*
Okay so center punch, use a drill slightly larger than the rivet as in the long piece or the head that I am drilling into?

Old 04-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Depends on how much you trust your touch. If you're confident go with something that'll just drill the head off, but you have to stop immediately upon getting through the head. If you use to big of a bit and don't stop quickly enough, you'll mess up the size of your rivet holes. If you'd rather just power through go with a bit the size if the body of the rivet. It'll probably take one to get the feel of. The other three will be easy.

Quick Reply: Back in business!