Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Best Scanner to Clear SRS Code

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 11:48 AM
Winching
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Best Scanner to Clear SRS Code

I had a brake switch failure code 26 - what is the best scanner to buy to clear this code - lots of comments about various scanners not working well to read and clear codes - especially SRS codes

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (03-27-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 09:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you set a budget? Do you work on other cars too? The Launch series of scan tools is real comprehensive. I've watched several videos of them but don't own one. But you might watch youtube videos and read Amazon reviews. You get more capabilities and convenience the more you spend. Nobody wants to spend a bundle, but you have to figure out what the happy medium is for you.

I have a Snap On Solus Ultra scanner and it can read and do several basic things to D1's. Not nearly as much as it can on other vehicles, but enough for my uses. I like it a lot, but the problem is Snap-on's software updates are SO expensive for the home DIY guy, you could go and buy a real nice Launch or Autel scanner for just the price of Snap-on's update cost alone (and they include a couple yrs of upgrades with the product). From what I can see, the gap between the import scanners and like a Snap-on scanner has been closed ...in terms of DIY work. My scanning is limited to my vehicles primarily which are below the yr of my scanner. Can the S-O reset SRS codes? I'm not sure, I can check. It resets SRS for other vehicles, and I used it to handshake a replacement body module (includes SRS) to my H3. But older Land Rovers are kind of a Red-headded stepchild within the Snap-on environment. SRS should reset once the SRS problems have been resolved, shouldn't they? If you ask the Launch people they usually respond pretty quick on specific capabilities their scanners can do. That might be the quickest way to get an answer.

One nice thing about Snap-on scanners (this is for conversation sake, I'm not recommending it for a Disco), is when Snap-on comes out with a new capability they generally make it as backward compatible as they can ...and there have been times when a deployed update can be applied to vehicles 10 years old or more. And of course snap-on scanners work on vehicles all the way back to 1980 1/2 ...for those guys who have, or work on, classic cars or OBD-1 vehicles (Jeeps, Corvettes, Camaro, pick-ups, etc). I use mine quite a bit for legacy vehicles. Although nowadays, you can usually just type your vehicle and symptom into Google and pretty much get a short list of likely causes.

The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (03-31-2022)