Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Bouncing - Tachometer - Nearly Unresponsive

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bouncing - Tachometer - Nearly Unresponsive

Hi Fellow Rover-neers..

History: When I first got this "New to me" 94/95 Disco day 2 of ownership - I noticed that the Serpentine Belt was warn - So I went to the local AZ and purchased asked for the belt - They gave me the belt - Took it home - I drew the belt pathway as it was on from PO and tried to put the belt on - It was very loose - So I took the PO belt and new belt back - Got a belt from AZ that was the same length and put that belt on based on the pathway I drew - which I thought was the manufacture pathway -

In the process of troubleshooting a water temp issue - I checked the "correct" belt path as found in the TECH sticky - low and behold, the belt path was not correct - So I adjusted the belt and put it back to the correct pathway - The seems to be tight with less then a 1/4 inch movement.

Now the tachometer is bouncing all over the place - It doesn't seem to stay at in one place at one time, but it doesn't seem to stick in one place. Also it doesn't seem to instantly respond if I rev the engine.

I will be looking at the "white" wire connected to the alternator - as this is one suggestion from another post - and it could possibly be loose and/or somehow shorting.

Is this an indication that my alternator is going out?
Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks for your input, in advance...

In Peace and Agape,
Trav...

Old 07-11-2011, 05:14 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the correct belt and put it on in the correct path. Then see how the tach responds. Too tight of a belt will kill bearings.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Mudding

Chris-bob,

The belt I got "originally" was 1/2 to 3/4 inch longer. When I tried to install it "in the bad pathway" I couldn't get any tension on the belt and the tensioner was "bottomed out". -

Wouldn't this still be the case if I tried to use the same belt?
Should I have more then 1/4 inch of belt play when tensioned up?

Thanks for your input,

In Peace and Agape,
Trav...

Old 07-11-2011, 05:43 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Travelor
Hi Fellow Rover-neers..

History: When I first got this "New to me" 94/95 Disco day 2 of ownership - I noticed that the Serpentine Belt was warn - So I went to the local AZ and purchased asked for the belt - They gave me the belt - Took it home - I drew the belt pathway as it was on from PO and tried to put the belt on - It was very loose - So I took the PO belt and new belt back - Got a belt from AZ that was the same length and put that belt on based on the pathway I drew - which I thought was the manufacture pathway -

In the process of troubleshooting a water temp issue - I checked the "correct" belt path as found in the TECH sticky - low and behold, the belt path was not correct - So I adjusted the belt and put it back to the correct pathway - The seems to be tight with less then a 1/4 inch movement.
Maybe I misread it, but it read like the po had the wrong size belt routed the wrong way.
Here is what I read;
You got a replacement belt and installed it the same way the old one was.
Belt is now too loose.
You get a new, shorter belt that matches what was on. Fits.
You notice belt is routed wrong.
You reroute belt.
Now belt is too tight.

It only makes sense to gt the correct belt and route it the correct path. Unless the first new belt you got was indeed the incorrect belt(which does happen a lot)

If the belt is correct, and routed correctly, then I would have your charging system tested for free at a shop somewhere.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:46 PM
TReK

Anytime you only get 1/4" of movement out of a serp belt, either the tensioner is bad, or you have too short of a belt installed. Usually you can move the belt at least an inch.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Mudding

Chris-bob,

Really? a whole inch? that really seems a bit excessive to me and my previous experience with other manufacturers - my Saturn has only a 1/4 inch of play - My Explorer has only a 1/4 of play -

The problem with the belt I first purchased was the belt was too long, and the tensioner bottomed out - meaning, no tension was put onto the belt at all. I am a bit aprehensive to get the same belt because I see very little "lenght" change between the "wrong" belt path and the "correct" pathway. As such it would seem getting that longer belt would only do the same thing, bottom the tensioner out.

In any case, I will take my Disco over and get the charging system checked to make sure the alternator is working as expected.

Thanks so much for your input, it is enlightening and helpful...

In Peace and Agape,
Trav...

Old 07-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tach issue! Test the alsternator. Clean all the terminals that connect to the alternator. Especially the white wire.