Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Brake Bleeding question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 08:04 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Bleeding question

Hi,
I recently purchased a 95 Discovery 1 with normal leaks etc and am working my way through fluid changes and the like (I read the sticky, very helpful!).

I have not bled brakes previously so I read the Rave manual and did some other research.

I started with right rear, left rear. They went just as expected. With a few pumps of the brakes I could see the old dirty fluid running out finally seeing the new clean come through.

When I moved to the front, following the same procedure as on the rears, I got one press on the pedal and fluid was moving out and then nothing. The pedal became soft and no fluid movement. I tightened the bleed screw, pressed the brake pedal 5 times and waiting, then repeated until pedal returned to normal (procedure from Rave). I thought that I had just loosened the bleed screw too much, so enlisted the wife to pedal press and backed the bleed screw off just barely enough to get fluid movement again. She got 2 presses and then pedal went soft. I had the same experience on both front brakes.

I have re-tightened the bleed screws and have the brakes back to where they feel normal. Tires will go back on tomorrow and I'll give it a test drive on my nice flat, dead end road.

So after the long winded explanation, my question is any ideas as to why the front were so different in bleeding?

And, I guess more importantly, is there anything I may be missing and should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It takes 2 people to bleed the brakes, one to pump and one to loosen and tighten the bleed screw.
You MUST tighten the bleed screw before you let off the brake pedal, if you dont you will suck in air.
I would start over, with your wifes help.
Start at the rear and work your way around the truck again.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:15 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll redo today.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If you look at the plumbing you'll see that the left rear is actually the furthest from the MC, if you're doing it that way.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have your wife put pressure on the brake first, then loosen the bleeder. She must hold the pedal to the floor. Tighten the bleeder. Then She can let off the pedal....

Pedal
Loosen
tighten
release

Rinse and repeat.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:10 AM
3rd Gear

Got it all sorted. Drove up and down my road for a test with a bunch of hard and soft stops, then around town. All seems to be well.

Thanks for the inputs.