Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

brake line rupture

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 03:42 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake line rupture

My drivers side brake line split open for about a one foot gash. Any ideas on a replacement?

Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Drifting

Update it not a foot long its just both lines about a foot apart from each other

Old 03-26-2014, 04:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get SS lines. Goodridge has nice lines. I went with paragon performance 25" lines and I'm happy with them.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Drifting

Where did you get them?

Old 03-27-2014, 04:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CUpgt
Get SS lines. Goodridge has nice lines. I went with paragon performance 25" lines and I'm happy with them.
Skip the stainless and get copper-nickel. For the price of one prebent line you can buy enough c/n line to do the whole truck, a flare tool and a cheapie tubing bender. Really, the stuff is so easy to work with you almost don't need the bender but I would use one anyway. Flare tool you can get at sears, most every parts hut in existence will have the c/n tubing in 25' spools, and precut shorter lengths as well. If I remember correctly I bought 75', way more than I needed for the whole truck, the flare tool, the tubing cutter and bender for less than $120, which is what rovers north wanted for ONE 4' long prebent crappy pot metal tube. Add to that the new skill you will learn doing it and it is a win win all around.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:47 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Rovers use ISO bubble flares, never seen that tool at Sears, but maybe.
You can make a fake bubble with a double flare tool, but I don't suggest doing that.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Rovers use ISO bubble flares, never seen that tool at Sears, but maybe.
You can make a fake bubble with a double flare tool, but I don't suggest doing that.
Didn't know that you kept a running stock of my local sears, I'll make sure I check with you first before I go there next time.

Sears.com

Old 03-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Drifting

Yeah I'm going to make them this weekend. After I got the old lines off I found that my fittings were in good shape so I am going to buy the C/N pipe this week and get it ready. Quick question on the brake line size. Is it 3/16?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Ian was talking about the flexible lines. I'm assuming your hard lines ruptured, right?
Unless you really like cutting and flaring stuff, I wouldn't bother with it. You can get a 12" length of 3/16" bubble flare metric fitting brake line for about $5 at just about any auto parts store. The 12" length should just fit, get 18" if you want a little more wriggle room. Get some line bending pliers and bend it to fit. This is how I've done all my hard lines. In fact I just picked up a 51" length today for my drivers side rear hardline.
I have a (cheap)flaring tool and have successfully made bubble flares. It does an OK job. I keep it in my spares box for trailside repairs mainly. In my experience you need to spring for a good(expensive) flaring tool if you plan on doing anything more than one flare. Personally I'd rather just spend $5-8 on a length of line with the flares already made and new fittings on it and bend it to fit.
I also cut off and keep old fittings and throw a few in my spares box. I also have two lengths of 60" line with fittings stashed down where the windshield meets the dash. They fit perfectly and are out of sight and kept straight.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:05 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by tentoesjoe
Where did you get them?

DAP has Goodridge hoses...

Parts for Discovery - D.A.P. Enterprises

Quick Reply: brake line rupture