Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Brake Rotor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Brake Rotor Replacement

Ok I have the rave manual for my 96 disco 1. But no where in there can I find the other parts I need or instructions on how to replace brake rotors and pads. I also believe I need a new passenger side caliper. I am replacing with new cross drilled rotors and ceramic pad. I am also thinking of upgrading the brake line to SS. It has over 200k miles on it and as far as I know never been replaced. I also have a CV clicking in the front so thinking about replacing those at the same time. Basically my thought was it would be in my best interest to do a rebuild on each side of the truck as I replace the rotors. Just FYI this is on the front. Does anyone have any ideas on what kind of effort, cost and labor would be involved. I have done brakes on it before and I already have the new brakes and rotors. Also I assume reading from the posts here it is not worth it to rebuilding the caliper just as cheep and easy to buy a new (rebult) one.
Thoughts?

Old 10-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you done the rotors before? They are time consuming.. it is in Rave under front/rear axle and final drive.

I would most certainly do a swivel pin rebuild with that many miles while you have it up.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with the new ProLine calipers from Rovers North. They say you should do both calipers on an axle, not to do one at a time.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humm Ok

So let say this. I have new rotors and pads so replacing those is a given. I have to replace 1 caliper so I should do both. What else should I consider. And what else is a must ? I saw the swivel pin. Wheel bearings? Are there any seals or such I will need or should think about replacing. BTW thank you for the location of the rotor replacement in the rave CD.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Camel Trophy

If one caliper is bad, I would strongly check the other one. If the pistons are ok, don't worry about it.

I would make sure you have a brake hardware kit with new springs and pins, I would replace the inner seals with the double lip ones. Antichrist has posted the part # on here several times, but I can't remember. There are for a Defender.

I would also clean and re-pack the wheel bearings and replace the swivel pin bearings. There is a kit to do the swivels. Make sure to service them with a tube of one shot on each side and for gasket/seal replacement. You won't know until you get in there. If nothing is leaking, you may be ok.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would want to have replacement wheel bearings on hand as well. If yours are good, clean and repack them, if bad you have the replacements and are not held up awaiting them. If yours turn out to be good, hold onto the replacements for future use.

I know someone who had one weld itself to the hub while traveling to the MAR outing. Luckily for him, he was in a caravan of Rovers traveling from the Pittsburgh area to the event. Right behind him in another Discovery I was the Club President who just happened to have replacement bearings and all the goodies to rebuild his hub roadside. They even had the tools and more importantly the knowledge of the Disco front hubs. All that was done on the side of the interstate in the middle of the night. Disco Bill was very lucky.

You will also want to have a replacement lockwasher for each hub as well as the correct size tool for removing the locknut unless you plan to risk screwing around with slip joint pliers or some other creative method. I prefer the adapter myself, makes it simple and does not damage the locknut.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

This is going to be an all day project if you do what is most likely needed, that being pads, rotors, wheel bearings, both calipers and a complete from diff/swivel service. Don't just do parts of it, if the bearings and swivels have not been done in the last 30K, if you are not sure how long it has been then replace the bearings and plan on doing the rear axle bearings also so they don't fail on you.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
This is going to be an all day project if you do what is most likely needed,.......
at least....might be more, even if you have all of the parts you need..

Old 10-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced all mine it was a bit more complex than any other vehicle ive done. Having to remove the axle to swap rotors was a new one. and the exciter was a pain cause those small bolts kept coming up bolted from it, nuts were stuck. But they are right it is a time consuming. And while your down there you might as well repack those wheel bearings.

And am i crazy or does anyone find repacking bearings by hand relaxing?

Old 10-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by jordamf
And am i crazy or does anyone find repacking bearings by hand relaxing?
as long as you use protection......

Quick Reply: Brake Rotor Replacement