Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Brake Rotor retaining bolt size?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Brake Rotor retaining bolt size?!?!

Does anyone know the exact size of the retaining bolt for the brake rotors? I believe it is a 14mm 12pt... It is not in the RAVE or anywhere else!!

Need to remove the rotor from the hub housing.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I found it....14mm 12pt.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, and they are grade 12.9, which is a higher tensile strength than SAE grade 8 and require torque that brings them within 90% of their ultimate strength to tighten them. After tightening them properly, they should not be re-used.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Great Source

Whenever I have a need for that kind of info, I immediately go to the Rover's North Discovery page, select the system involved and follw the links to see the entire parts illustrations with all the correct part numbers, prices and all the associated parts.

Then I call them in person, get one of their experienced parts guys on the phone, tell him what I am doing on what vehicle, mention that I am looking at their page and get great answers and prices and availability usually place the order and ask what else they might have on special or itf I may need anything else to do what I am trying to do. They have always come thru for me.

Correct parts at a good price with great customer servoce and free answers to any questions that I have had. Whether I order from them or not, but I usually do.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Mudding

While I personally like Rovers North and would prefer to do business with them, there are a few things that I'm not very well pleased with. First, their prices are exhorbitantly higher than other suppliers. Second, they obscure the manufacturer's part numbers and reference only their own.

They produce a nice little magazine. It's abundantly clear that they're fellow enthusiasts and not just a parts-hocking merchandiser. However, I find it hard to justfy their prices which are often 30-35% higher than their biggest competitors. Even their biggest competitor's prices are often 10% higher than the non-Land-Rover-specific parts suppliers.

Case in point, the bolt, part FTC1368 in question is here:

Bolt Brake Rotor To Hub 10MM for Range Rover Classic | Land Rover wheels, tires, hubs, axles for $1.95

Rovers North sells it for 51% higher:

LAND ROVER PARTS - BOLT BRAKE DISC-HUB

While you can find it by searching for FTC1368 on Rovers North's web site, the page does not reference that part number, which is in fact deprecated/superceded.

How about another one? The brake caliper bolt is here:

LAND ROVER PARTS - BOLT M12 BRAKE CALIPER

at $2.59

but at the competitor it's $1.95 for the same genuine (see the suffix "G") Land-Rover part:

Caliper Bolt - Metric | Brake Parts for Land Rover & Range Rover

Is it just bolts? No. I was just shopping for the shock tower retaining rings. Here they are:

LAND ROVER PARTS - STUD PLATE SHOCK TOWER
for $25.95

Here it is for $16.95
Shock Tower Securing Ring for Range Rover Classic, Steering & Suspension Parts

I actually decided to upgrade to RBC100111

$24.93 at Rovers North
LAND ROVER PARTS - ISOLATOR - FRONT SPRING

or $21.95 at the big competitor
Isolator Spring - Front for Discovery Series II, Steering & Suspension Parts

You can compare many things, particularly genuine, non-knock off parts, and can generally count on Rovers North price being significantly higher. A-B's price is not by any means low. There are independent shops that will charge less markup on the same parts from the same distributor, and there are non-Land Rover specific parts houses that will sell some but not all Land Rover parts for far less than A-B.

Between RN and A-B, I've spent something like $1400 in the last couple months. It was actually split about evenly but most of the RN dollars were for genuine accessories. Had I also bought all the parts there, it could have cost me hundreds of dollars more for the same parts.

Also, they don't take American Express.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The bolts are actually 10mm x 1.5. They do take a 14mm 12py socket however.

As for being single use I've never seen that anywhere.
Considering that the tensile stress at the industry standard torque (which is higher than what Rover specs) for such a bolt is a little more than 1/2 the yield strength I can't see them being single use.

I clean them and reuse them.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Exactly, I do not see any reference in the RAVE (Service repair no. 70.10.10) that advises to replace the bolts.

I reused them and used blue Loctite to finish it off.

I drove it for a 200 miles with no issues at all.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

In case anyone wants the numbers....
For the 10mm rotor bolts,these are the relevant values:
Ultimate tensile strength 1200 MPa
Yield strength 1080 MPa
Tensile stress at 75Nm 648 MPa
Since they get torqued to 73Nm I don't see any reason to be concerned about reuse.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Mudding

I agree with your assessment. The non-reuse is based on torquing them to their proof strength, which Land Rover does not specify. Instead, Land Rover is overspecifying the bolt as property 12.9 on an assembly that does not need the clamping force of those screw's tensile strength. Why? Probably because Land Rover engineers are using the bolts double-duty, to clamp the rotor to the hub and to handle the driving and braking torque in shear. They specified property 12.9 screws to obtain higher shear strength. Needless to say, this is utterly lame engineering. Threaded fasteners (screws in single shear) should not be used to hold the shear load of driving and braking torque, but automotive engineers do it all the time. A correct method would be to use pins in double-shear or splines. At least they don't also use them to hold the weight of the vehicle.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well like I said, their website shows it all. As far as paying $2.49 versus $1.99, I am not concerned over that minor price difference when I know I am getting the correct part from a well trusted supplier that has provided me with excellent Customer Service. I would rather deal with them than go thru a big runaround trying to find out what I need then scurrying around comparing prices for a relatively minor difference in the grand total. There have been a few times when I did buy some things elsewhere, but I have never had a bad experience when dealing with RN. To each his own.

I like the fact that they has always been able to meet my needs and the one time they could not gvet me a new front brake line at a good price, they decided to start making them themselves. I am well satisified with Rovers North from my own personal expereiences with them. I do not have the same feelings about very many other suppliers of anything. That is why I recommend them.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 07-20-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotor retaining bolt size?!?!