Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

A/C help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C help

Okay, purchased my 1998 discovery I last week. I have address a few things now im working on the A/C.

Here is the problem, there is no A/C.

my first thing I did solved the issue but now I need to know how to permentanly fix it. I hooked my compressor directly to the battery and bypassed any relays or fuses that may be in line after the wiring. Once I hooked it directly to the battery it worked great. Checked my fuses, both of them under the hood on the left side were in good shape. Is there a A/C relay, or compressor clutch relay? That must be the problem but I cannot find it for the life of me. Thanks for any help. Without it hardwired everything but the compressor clutch is working great, my heat and fan both work.

Tyler

Old 08-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: A/C help

The a/c is run by the ecu and pressure information the ecu gets then allows the compressor to come on.
Might want to make sure the pressure switch is working.
Also when you jump the compressor, do your electric fans come on? If not that can be another problem for you to fix.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check what Mike suggested. See if:

Do the fans come one when you push in the A/c switch? Electric fans come on when the compressor is on.

Jumper the pressure switch. I had a Volvo that had the switch going out. I had to jumper the switch to get the compressor on. If this gets it working, replace the switch, do not leave it running like this.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Overlanding

just got back from land rover, got a compressor/clutch relay. Im going to give that a shot first since im pretty sure when I hit the switch the fans are all coming on as normal just not the compressor/clutch. If this does not fix it then I will move onto the preasure switches. Ill keep you guys updated. Thanks for the quick responses.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Overlanding

manual says the compressor relay is on the rh lower a-post, anyone know which one this is? There are relays on the side near where your right foot would be if you were a passanger, then there is a hanging bracket under the glove box, then there are more of the same relays behind the glove box.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Overlanding

tested all the relays, moving on to the preasure swithes next.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Overlanding

okay to bring everyone up to date...Tested all the relays, not the issue. Tried to "jumper" the preasure switch, didnt do any good either. Neither of the electric fans are working but im not to concerned with that just yet. I did hot wire the compressor directly to the batter and it blew cold and hard inside the cabin. (fans did not come on when it was hotwired either.)

Getting dark out...going to button it up and try again next weekend when I have more time.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Camel Trophy

When you push the a/c button, does the light illuminate?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Overlanding

Yes, button works fine and light comes on. When the compressor was hotwired I still had to push the button so thats when I tested it. Not sure why I wasnt able to bypass the high preasure switch but im guessing either the switch is bad or the preasure in the system is low.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Camel Trophy

I might be wrong, but the switch opens when the pressure is too high. If you look right under your high side inlet valve (Grey cap with an H on it), you should find the pressure switch. Take a wire and jumper the 2 wires in the connector.

I don't think it monitors low pressure...

Quick Reply: A/C help