Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Can't find o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find o2 sensors

I'm new to the forum and this is my first time posting a thread so bare with me. I know that the land rover has 4 o2 sensors. 2 before the catalytic converter and 2 after it. I only have the 2 before the catalytic converter and I assume the previous owner had the other 2 removed. So my question is how bad do I need those other 2 o2 sensors? And if I do need them how would I gO about putting them back on and hooking them into the computer? Thank you very much for any feedback.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You only have 2, pre-cat, thats all your truck came with from the factory.
The rear O2's were added only as a emissions device, they will set off the check engine light when the cats go bad, the rear O2's ONLY monitor the cats and do nothing else so they are not needed.
Like I said your truck did not come with rear O2's anyway so dont worry about them.
Hell, if you wanted you could even have your cats removed and nothing would change on your truck, however if you have inspections where you live it will not pass with the cats removed.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
You only have 2, pre-cat, thats all your truck came with from the factory.
The rear O2's were added only as a emissions device, they will set off the check engine light when the cats go bad, the rear O2's ONLY monitor the cats and do nothing else so they are not needed.
Like I said your truck did not come with rear O2's anyway so dont worry about them.
Hell, if you wanted you could even have your cats removed and nothing would change on your truck, however if you have inspections where you live it will not pass with the cats removed.
I would consider removing them. Maybe the sound is too much. Would probably make the tick louder huh. I can get away with not having them here..but I might have to pay. I'd have codes forever tho wouldn't I?

When did they add the second two O2's. My '96 non-aes or whatever definitely has the 4? I gotta get under there.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Pro Wrench

...and by the way...amazon seems to be the place to get new o2's. there are two different kinds. seems you have the cheaper one. or more expensive one.

Last edited by slanginsanjuan; 04-24-2012 at 07:32 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-24-2012, 07:34 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The emissions requirements changed in the US beginning in 1996. Pre 96 is considered exempt.

Yes Slang, you would have multiple codes if you removed the front ones and your ECM would never function correctly for the fuel lean/rich factor.

What really blows is that our system can only switch from lean to rich and back. I saw a detailed presentation on HPTV about newer O2 sensors and computers on latest versions have the ability to do a stepped increase or decrease and fine tune the incoming mix based upon two more intermediate points allowing for much improved performance.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for the clarification on the o2 sensors. Now since I've been trying to fix all the little issues with my truck it seems another has popped up. Lastnight I was under the glovebox trying locate my window lift ecu and I found it. So I removed the two plugs to see if I could locate the problem with my back windows. They don't roll down. After trying to remove the plastic cover over the ecu for an hour lastnight I thought it best to wait till the next day. So I plugged the plugs back in and now none of my windows work. I noticed that the window amps where blown so I figured that was the cause. Replaced those and still nothing. I can hear a click from the ecu but windows don't budge. So my question is do I need to replace the window motors or the ecu?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Pro Wrench

annoying huh. i'm doing the same. with a good motor, check each unknown connection. then you know if its the motor or not. if you're electrically inclined you could probably do it easier with a voltometer or something.

danny...wasssssup? that's why i'm leaving the cats and 02's. just was hoping I had 2 instead of 4. gonna do 2 at a time anyway. i've got soo much to do including potentially 2 BIG jobs I'm overwhelmed.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
I would consider removing them. Maybe the sound is too much. Would probably make the tick louder huh. I can get away with not having them here..but I might have to pay. I'd have codes forever tho wouldn't I?

When did they add the second two O2's. My '96 non-aes or whatever definitely has the 4? I gotta get under there.
If a 4 O2 truck were to remove his cats he may or may not get codes, power in the low RPM range would increase, MPG would increase by about 1%.
Unless you have codes for the rear O2's leave them alone.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jmcavscout
Thanks for the clarification on the o2 sensors. Now since I've been trying to fix all the little issues with my truck it seems another has popped up. Lastnight I was under the glovebox trying locate my window lift ecu and I found it. So I removed the two plugs to see if I could locate the problem with my back windows. They don't roll down. After trying to remove the plastic cover over the ecu for an hour lastnight I thought it best to wait till the next day. So I plugged the plugs back in and now none of my windows work. I noticed that the window amps where blown so I figured that was the cause. Replaced those and still nothing. I can hear a click from the ecu but windows don't budge. So my question is do I need to replace the window motors or the ecu?
That is a tough one, the ecu should be good, double check that the connectors are plugged in all the way.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 AM
4wd Low

Ok so I took the ecu out and resolder the circuit board to try and fix my back windows so they would roll down. Well I fixed the back windows but now the front ones will not roll up. I can hear a click sound coming from the ecu and the window motor. Now what's really got me is that it clicks now even when I do not touch the window button. The window motor will click on the drivers side then click on the passanger side. Just back and forth. Also noticed that when I hit the drivers side window button it does not make a click in the ecu like the passanger side does. Now what's even worse is that it does it when the keys are not in the ignition. I have to unplug the negative battery terminal to get the clicking to stop. Does anybody have a clue to what the deal is. Please help it's very frustrating. Also heard you can hard wire the windows up but not sure how to do that.

Quick Reply: Can't find o2 sensors