Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

cargo barrier

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 03:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cargo barrier

well started to build my cargo barrier for the back of the disco, am using 1/2 NB Black pipe, am bolting it to the inner wheel arches and then come up to a horizontal pipe, which then picks up the hoop running up and over the back of the seat, which then picks up on the seat belt anchors, from about 150-180mm form the roof i am putting a shelf in that runs full width of the frame, and is approx 250mm deep, so will give some where for sleeping bags and pillows etc to keep it dry. am looking at using rienforcing mesh or 4mm steel cross bars, needs to be light but strong.

i know the thread is worthless with out pics, but will have to wait until tomorrow

cheers Pedronz

Old 10-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you thought about putting any of that stuff on hd rollers like for tool drawers so you can slide stuff out for easier access? You're gonna have quite the expedition machine soon my friend.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:47 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by turf63
Have you thought about putting any of that stuff on hd rollers like for tool drawers so you can slide stuff out for easier access? You're gonna have quite the expedition machine soon my friend.
contemplating a draw system, but you lose a bit of space for the roller system, minimal i admit, but space is a premium with 2 adults and 2 kids and 3 weeks of gear to cart around, trying to avoid using the roof rack!!!

we are away this weekend for three days so will get a better idea of the packing requirements,

Cheers

Pedronz

Old 10-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Three Wheeling

a few pics, started to load up for the weekend away

a back view with some sleeping bags on the shelf
Name:  P1050696Medium.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  70.5 KB

in back door showing the shelf from the front and the quickly made head rests to stop kids hitting head when off road

Name:  P1050697Medium.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  94.2 KB

looking at lower shelf or shelves, will make them to fit the items stored to maximise room .

Cheers

Pedronz

Old 10-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I removed all that interior trim from the rear of mine a while back and do not plan to put it back in. On the driver's side rear corner, I attached a 50 caliber ammo box to the floor and I put my factory jack and a few tools in it. Behind that on the side wall under the window, I mounted 4 steel spring clips, that is what reatins the 4 way lug wrench I bought. I mounted a couple of piece of aluminum channel I found that extend from the back of the middle seats to near the back door.

I have some stainless steel doors, an insulated sink/cooler, and a large stainless steel drawer and drawer slides mounted on steel side panels that I salvaged from a large propane grill that I salvaged recently.

I plan to mount the little doors as sliding doors in the aluminum channel I mounted, one on each side. This will provide enclosed storage in those side areas behind the wheel arches. The sink/cooler will mount on the passenger's side right by the side window with a pvc drain pipe connecting the sink drain to a hole in the floor pan with enclosed storage under the sink.

I am considering mounting the large drawer in the center area of the rear cargo bay with enough space to still get to the cover over the fuel pump, such that I will have a open storage space under the stainless steel drawer and use the drawer like a big tool box. It will be clamped to the floor pan such that I can remove it easily if I need the full cargo space, or have the drawer in with a table top mounted over the drawer. The rear door speaker and plastic pocket are gone as well. I have a panel I can mount to the door with a piano hinge such that it can be raised as a small table with the door open or folded flat with the door closed.

The best part of all these mods is the cost factor. Out of pocket expenditures = 0.

It is all comprised of items I salvaged or already had on hand like the ammo box.

The advantages are that the tools, jack, and other items will all have secure storage and will not be bouncing or sliding around in an empty cargo bay. Lost space will be at a minimum.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I removed all that interior trim from the rear of mine a while back and do not plan to put it back in. On the driver's side rear corner, I attached a 50 caliber ammo box to the floor and I put my factory jack and a few tools in it. Behind that on the side wall under the window, I mounted 4 steel spring clips, that is what reatins the 4 way lug wrench I bought. I mounted a couple of piece of aluminum channel I found that extend from the back of the middle seats to near the back door.

I have some stainless steel doors, an insulated sink/cooler, and a large stainless steel drawer and drawer slides mounted on steel side panels that I salvaged from a large propane grill that I salvaged recently.

I plan to mount the little doors as sliding doors in the aluminum channel I mounted, one on each side. This will provide enclosed storage in those side areas behind the wheel arches. The sink/cooler will mount on the passenger's side right by the side window with a pvc drain pipe connecting the sink drain to a hole in the floor pan with enclosed storage under the sink.

I am considering mounting the large drawer in the center area of the rear cargo bay with enough space to still get to the cover over the fuel pump, such that I will have a open storage space under the stainless steel drawer and use the drawer like a big tool box. It will be clamped to the floor pan such that I can remove it easily if I need the full cargo space, or have the drawer in with a table top mounted over the drawer. The rear door speaker and plastic pocket are gone as well. I have a panel I can mount to the door with a piano hinge such that it can be raised as a small table with the door open or folded flat with the door closed.

The best part of all these mods is the cost factor. Out of pocket expenditures = 0.

It is all comprised of items I salvaged or already had on hand like the ammo box.

The advantages are that the tools, jack, and other items will all have secure storage and will not be bouncing or sliding around in an empty cargo bay. Lost space will be at a minimum.
Pictures please

Old 12-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Three Wheeling

well carried on finally, trip 2 weeks away so figured better get the A in G, made a center box/shelf to cover the chilly bin, and to hold 4 cube boxes snugly, i have removed the side seat and all assoc brackets, and then also cut the trim from the back corners on the floor to give more floor space, i intend to make a steel panel to screw into place to cover the lights and wiring, but can easily remove to service to bulbs oif required. i also removed the rear trim panel off the back door and made a new one fro 9mm ply, i covered it with autex carpet, as i did the box, i also made a fold down platform so we can make food and stuff while on the side of the track.

the box, secured to cargo barrier at the front and to have 3 brackets to hold it to the floor at the back
Name:  P1050830Medium.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  88.1 KB

Name:  P1050832Medium.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  82.5 KB

Name:  P1050826Medium.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  83.8 KB

rear door

Name:  P1050827Medium.jpg
Views: 651