Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

center console removal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default center console removal?

so i've got a n00b question, i got a replacement shifter surround/indicator since mine is trashed and when i removed it at the junk yard it the console was already broken off so i couldnt see how to remove it properly. how do i remove the center console?

Old 10-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been so long since I've had mine apart, I can't remember if the whole counsel comes out, or just the piece over the shifter(s) to replace the surround. Start by removing the t-case shifter and boot. There is a plastic ring at the bottom of the boot that snaps in/out. Carefull, I snapped mine in two. Then the shift **** on the t-case unscrews.

I think there are a couple screws under that hold the trim that goes all the way back to the window switches. Remove screws, lift the front of that trim(t-case end) up, and the end by the cubby hole slides out. But then you have to remove the connectors to all the switches for it to come all the way out. And if I remember right, the gearshift has to be moved back towards drive.

That might get you far enough to replace the black surround. If not, the rest of the center consel needs the seat switches removed and two screws in the bottom of the center cubby. Then the PITA part is removing the parking brake cable, 'cause the handbrake has to go almost straight up to get the whole consol out.

Last edited by kenk; 10-04-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Mudding

It's not that hard. I replaced my shifter a few weeks ago as well. Pull off the cover plate on the cdl. Small flat head works well. Unscrew the plastic plate holding the window switches. Unhook the switches while taking note of the colors. Open the box and unscrew the two screws in the box. Then you have to remove the clevis pin from the hand brake and undo the springs. Remove the pin from the handbrake. Lift up the hand brake and then lift up the center counsel from the back. You can then unplug the cigarette lighter. From there, there are two more screws in front of the CDL to do and you should be done. From there you just unscrew the shifter and lift it out. If you removed the old one from the junk yard putting it back in is not problem. one braket and the tranny cable connection and your done. Only took an hour one I got going.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by twoxred
Unscrew the plastic plate holding the window switches.
Must be dependent on what trim level you're car has. I have alot of wood trim, and the(wood) panel that holds the window switches can not be removed seperatly. It is one piece that goes from the window switches all the way up to around the t-case.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by kenk
Must be dependent on what trim level you're car has. I have alot of wood trim, and the(wood) panel that holds the window switches can not be removed seperatly. It is one piece that goes from the window switches all the way up to around the t-case.
No doubt. Mine wasn't so much screwed in as held together with plastic ties, so all i needed was a wire cutter. Parking break doesn't work either so I didn't bother putting it back together. i gather that can be a pain.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yea, I shoulda stated that- getting the cable off the handbrake is easy, getting it back on ain't so much.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Reminds me of the blind man and the elephant parable.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Reminds me of the blind man and the elephant parable.
Blind men and the elephant? So which of the six are you?(i got dibs on the leg)

Last edited by kenk; 10-04-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Mudding

cool thanks for the help. sounds easy enough, i'm just so used to cars that have all these hidden clips that'll break if you don't know there there i figured i'd ask before i tried since parts are so hard to come by for this haha. i'll post before and after pics tomorrow when i tackle the job.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Mudding

well its done, was easy since my console was a bit cracked and didnt have to remove the e-brake. one more part to search for now lol.

old one: not sure why they wrote times on it...

all done, i can now easily tell what gear im in lol.

new parts not perfect but the junk yard only charged me $1.50 so i can't complain haha.

Quick Reply: center console removal?