Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Central Diff lock not locking

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBlanco
OK, well, I think we all agree that it is F'd up and that was the answer I was seeking (although not the result I wanted). I will have to keep it as it is right now. I can't be without a truck right now and it doesn't clear the garage door which means working on it outside. I will have to wait until warmer weather.

Jake, I will let you know what I plan to do. I may just opt to swap it for a known working CDL.
Does it clear the garage door if you air down? I don't get how I can fit my truck in my garage with a 7' door with 35s and a 3" lift and you can't. i did take my roof rails off though. You have a stupid tall roof rack?? Or a 5' garage door?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Bill, pull your rear driveshaft. Attempt to lock the CDL. If you can drive it then the CDL works. If it won't move, it doesn't work. Gimme $50 and half hour and I'll do it for you and reinstall the driveshaft when done.
All this blab about which way it spins. Real world tests are simple and easy.

Jake, he has a roof rack. I had to disconnect my garage door from the opener to gain a couple more inches to pull my truck in.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishEH
Jake, he has a roof rack.
And a lift, and bikes, ladders, and dozens of fishing rods hanging from the ceiling, blah blah blah.....

And the M5 is up on blocks because I took the rims over to my buddy to get refinished...

I did swap the door sprigs out so I can get the door up all the way now...

Actually Jake's idea of lifting the front end and putting it into gear is not too horrible. My buddy's shop has an over head lift. He uses it to lift bodies off of hot rods and I have seen him hoist entire cars. He could probably lift up the front end by the anchor points and I can throw it in gear. I could probably drive the length of the shop, but all we need are a few inches to know if it is working or not.

I am pretty confident that it is not locking however.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Camel Trophy

Normally I wouldn't recommend trying to drive a truck while on jack stands but.....
If you put the front on jack stands and the tires are only an inch off the ground it should be pretty safe. Going with the jack stand test should only take about 5 minutes.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by fishEH
Normally I wouldn't recommend trying to drive a truck while on jack stands but.....
If you put the front on jack stands and the tires are only an inch off the ground it should be pretty safe. Going with the jack stand test should only take about 5 minutes.
Haha convinced he is!!! All this nonsense about dropping drive shafts and what not.. You'll know in a a second if its locked or not. Let off the brake and if the front tires just spin your not. If you chock the rear wheels maybe you won't move if it is locked. But your front wheels won't spin free..

Old 12-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Camel Trophy

Speaking of nonsense..... 3 pages of hypothesizing which way the shafts turn and whatnot when in 5-15 minutes of work would give definitive results.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:30 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I understand correctly, he's already jacked the front up and "locked" his CDL. The fronts spin while the rear is on the ground. Having the truck on stands and flooring it wont change those results other than gaining the satisfaction of getting someone to actually drive themselves off of jack stands. Although if you do decide to do this, let Brett and I know so we can get video.

As he already has the console apart, I would try and back the switch out and see if that frees up the fork. It looks like the switch can be adjusted in too far and contact the fork which would bind it. Pg 76 of the LT230.Pdf found here, Click Here for LT230 pdf (also attached for you lazy asses). Ashcroft has put this on their own website as part of a FAQ so it must happen often enough. Ashcroft Transmissions - LT230 FAQ's

Doing this should take no more then 15 minutes to do from inside the truck. Laying on the ground and getting your newest Affliction tshirt dirty wont be necessary. If that does work and you can get the tcase to lock but still no light, test the switch.

Either way he's not had CDL for awhile so theres a good chance that the selector fork may just be f'd or some other internal part is worn beyond usefullness which is not allowing engagement of the gears. This thing aint a transmission, theres only so much that can go wrong here. Opening that side panel on the front output when it gets warmer will shed light on whats happening if the above doesnt work.

Attached Thumbnails Central Diff lock not locking-diff.jpg  

Last edited by mbs13; 12-19-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by mbs13
If I understand correctly, he's already jacked the front up and "locked" his CDL. The fronts spin while the rear is on the ground. Having the truck on stands and flooring it wont change those results other than gaining the satisfaction of getting someone to actually drive themselves off of jack stands. Although if you do decide to do this, let Brett and I know so we can get video.
no he had all 4 on jack stands and was spinning wheels around.. I was trying to get him to drive off of jack stands cause I though it would be funny. With that said I would do it but my truck is build a little differently..

Old 12-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was somewhere on here or Facebook he said he had the rears on the ground still and the front still turned when he was locked didn't he?

B- did you do this yet? Or were you just trying to spin driveshafts with all corners in the air?

Old 12-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by mbs13
It was somewhere on here or Facebook he said he had the rears on the ground still and the front still turned when he was locked didn't he?

B- did you do this yet? Or were you just trying to spin driveshafts with all corners in the air?
I suggested it on Facebook but didnt see if he did it. He did PT's method which should work as well..

I have an LT230 at home in pieces.. Cant wait to go home and look at the lock mechanism closer..

Quick Reply: Central Diff lock not locking