Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

changing panhard bushings - how hard?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Default changing panhard bushings - how hard?

Guys,
On my third panhard bushing.
Garage has been putting in cheap bushings that go bad.
This time - I'll go with a poly bushing (sourced from Lucky8) but
now I need to put it in.

I found this thread on another BB.

Looks kinda bad for the shade tree mechanic without a press.
What do you all think?

Wear in the panhard rod bushes is usually identified by wandering steering, a click or knock - especially when starting a turn.
The rod can be removed with the vehicle sat on the ground, so just crawl under the front of the vehicle. Both ends are a 22mm nut/bolt.

Axle end-

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\jfall\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\02\ clip_image001.jpg[/IMG]

Chassis end-

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\jfall\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\02\ clip_image002.jpg[/IMG]

The bush inner sleeve has come loose and the end of the rod is now tapping/rubbing on the mounting bracket.

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\jfall\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\02\ clip_image003.jpg[/IMG]

Remove both nuts/bolts and the rod will come away. The chassis will move slightly to the drivers side as you do this. Note the kink on the rod - this has to go at the diff end.

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\jfall\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\02\ clip_image004.jpg[/IMG]

A 21/22mm socket is the right size to use to press the old bush out.

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\jfall\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\02\ clip_image005.jpg[/IMG]

If you don't have a hydraulic press, then either use a big vice or get a local garage to replace the bushes. In this thread I'm using a 15-ton hydraulic press. The pressure required to get the bushes out was just over 5-tons.
Centre the socket on the bush - not forgetting to allow room underneath for the bush to come out.

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\jfall\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\02\ clip_image006.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\jfall\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\02\ clip_image007.jpg[/IMG]

Once the bush is out, grease the rod eye and also the outside of the new bush. Again make sure that there's room for the inner sleeve to protrude - it's longer than the bush main body.

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\jfall\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\02\ clip_image008.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\jfall\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\02\ clip_image009.jpg[/IMG]

The bush protrudes a small amount either side of the rod eye, so make sure both sides are equal.

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\jfall\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\02\ clip_image010.jpg[/IMG]

Bolt the rod back on axle end first and then pull the body/chassis towards the passenger side until the hole in the rod lines up with the hole in the mounting bracket.

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\jfall\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\02\ clip_image011.jpg[/IMG]

Once both bolts are in - do them up mental tight!

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\jfall\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\02\ clip_image012.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-05-2012, 11:05 AM
TReK

Wear in the panhard rod bushes is usually identified by wandering steering, a click or knock - especially when starting a turn.
The rod can be removed with the vehicle sat on the ground, so just crawl under the front of the vehicle. Both ends are a 22mm nut/bolt.

Axle end-

Chassis end-

The bush inner sleeve has come loose and the end of the rod is now tapping/rubbing on the mounting bracket.

Remove both nuts/bolts and the rod will come away. The chassis will move slightly to the drivers side as you do this. Note the kink on the rod - this has to go at the diff end.

A 21/22mm socket is the right size to use to press the old bush out.

If you don't have a hydraulic press, then either use a big vice or get a local garage to replace the bushes. In this thread I'm using a 15-ton hydraulic press. The pressure required to get the bushes out was just over 5-tons.
Centre the socket on the bush - not forgetting to allow room underneath for the bush to come out.

Once the bush is out, grease the rod eye and also the outside of the new bush. Again make sure that there's room for the inner sleeve to protrude - it's longer than the bush main body.

The bush protrudes a small amount either side of the rod eye, so make sure both sides are equal.

Bolt the rod back on axle end first and then pull the body/chassis towards the passenger side until the hole in the rod lines up with the hole in the mounting bracket.

Once both bolts are in - do them up mental tight!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Step 1 - Remove the panhard rod
Step 2 - Take it to a local machinist with a press. Have them pop it out for you
Step 3 - Pop in your polybush
Step 4 - Install panhard rod
step 5 - Fix the problem that is causing your bushings to blow out

Old 12-05-2012, 02:56 PM
TReK

Thanks for the reply.
Previous shop said oil was spoiling the rubber in the bush.
I corrected that - by replacing the transmission cooler lines.

Went out at lunch and looked at the bush -
the panhard bushes are all DRY..

Why are they blowing out?

Old 12-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i burned the rubber ones out with a torch. and then put the poly's in from Lucky 8. no problems since! have you checked the rest of your steering components they rubber bushing might have been going bad prematurely because of something else that is failed in the system and is putting excess strain on the bushings.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:08 PM
TReK

Hi Ed,
Thanks!
Well, I can replace head gaskets.
But, terrible at front ends.
What else to check?

Old 12-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember your previous post on the same subject and that your shop said that oil was ruining the bushings. I recall that most people thought that they were still failing prematurely even though they were getting oily. It's great that you have taken the correct steps to keep them dry, however, you may have other issues to contend with.

The Panhard rod keeps the axle from moving side to side. The radius arms keep the axle from moving front to back as well as keeping the axle from rotating. They all work together allowing the axle to move up and down.... It could be a possibility (and a probability) that some or all of the bushings on your radius arms are not in very good condition and not doing what they are supposed to do and therefore putting undue stress on your panhard rod.

If I had to take a guess, I would say that your front radius arm bushings (the ones connected to the axle) are bad as well. They usually suffer from the same oil leaks as the panhard rod bushings. Also, every time you hit the gas or hit the brakes, your entire axle will want to rotate. If your radius arms bushings are not holding the axle, the next stress points are your panhard rod and shocks.

You can get underneath and check for oil on the other bushings or check for dry rot etc. You can get a crow bar and try to move the radius arm around. If you have anything more than a hair's width of movement, you are probably due for new bushings. Chances are, they are probably due for replacement based on age and mileage alone.

You could have alignment issues as well. When was the last time your alignment was checked? Do you have any strange vibrations? Uneven tire wear?

How are your shocks and springs? If you have lousy shocks, you could be driving with your front axle bouncing around like a basketball putting all kinds of undue stress on your entire front end.

I think we discussed in your last post about doing all of the suspension bushings.

If it were me (and it was about 2 months ago) I would verify that springs, shocks, and steering components are in good order and then change ALL of the front end bushings at the very least. I had issues with my front radius arm bushings (probably due to oil leaks) and replaced all of the bushings front and back.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
i burned the rubber ones out with a torch. and then put the poly's in from Lucky 8. no problems since! have you checked the rest of your steering components they rubber bushing might have been going bad prematurely because of something else that is failed in the system and is putting excess strain on the bushings.
What about the pressed in bushing shell? They don't burn.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:44 PM
TReK

Ed,
Thanks for the comprehensive response.
Much appreciated.

I'll check on all that you have responded to.
And, thanks - for educating me on how all this works.

No, nothing ever replaced.

Never any bushings besides panhard
Never the shocks.

Seems to have a loose feeling in the left side - when we go over a bump or a pot hole there and there.

Shop said ball joints were OK.

Wife says "end of the road" for the Rover. Wants it gone.

I need to get under there and figure out what else is going bad - as per your advice.
We are out of Seattle - where it is pouring rain and now in San Diego where
you can get under there and work on the truck.

Yeah, I figured the rubber was rotting from the oil - but I bet you are spot on about the rest of the issues.

This is a great forum and you are a great contributor. Thanks so much.

Hopefully I can just tug on things and see if they are loose.
We don't have a garage at this time at home to work on it.
I do have my tool box in the back.

I sold off most of my tools a few years ago during a "big move" to Seattle.
And the rover has been requiring me to buy back a few tools.

J

Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
What about the pressed in bushing shell? They don't burn.
fire got it hot enough to pop it out fairly easily. even better the damn poly bushings went right in on a vice, never touched a press!

Quick Reply: changing panhard bushings - how hard?