Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   cheaper 8mm ignition wires (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/cheaper-8mm-ignition-wires-58844/)

CUpgt 05-06-2013 07:42 AM

Champion has a pretty large following in the Rover community. I've never used them before until I put them in the rover but 3 years strong with no issues

TOM R 05-06-2013 07:57 AM

maybe this is one of the vehicles they actualy work well in, I have always found them to be the root of drivability problems, miss, flooding, ignition breakup on acceleration, they were always newly installed champion plugs properly gapped, remove and install ac delco, ngk, bosch and problem dissapears so that would lead me to believe it's the plugs

do you use a special champ plug or just the base model? not trying to be a jerk just curious i like to try to stay open minded

i always figured they must work well since they advertise all over the race world

OP- the wires i run are 7mm no problems my rig still had the original 1998 ones when I got it a few years back, guess I am one of the "lucky ones" to get a rover that had never been serviced sheesh

fishEH 05-06-2013 08:03 AM

Just the $1.50 copper Champions. The AutoLites work well too, again the cheap model.

Savannah Buzz 05-06-2013 08:09 AM

You have a late 1950's basic engine design. Parts of that era are common use. But keep in mind back in the 1960's Champion used to run ads in hot rod magazines about a weekend racer who went halves with a buddy on a case of Champions. So changing the plugs from time to time is a good idea. Let's see; regular gas (you know who you are), neva needed no tuneupz, PCV system plugged up, oil change every 25,000, don't know the smell of SeaFoam in the morning, big honkin' tires and the full throttle operation that comes with them just to move.... on a 200,000 mile engine owned by a yuppie who never serviced anything that did not fall off by itself, water jacket at 229F all the time by an owner with no scanner. Yep, life can be tough for a plug.

TOM R 05-06-2013 04:54 PM

hit or miss for me with the standard autolite plugs

savana buzz, I hear ya I worked on alot like that over the years, this is just my first lr experience

service my vehicle whats that? and btw whats that knob in front of the shifter for?:rolleyes:

a friends mom bought her 1978 trans am new in 78 and worked for a dealer, in 1984 one of the mechanics talked her into an oil change and some sludge dripped out they asked when was the last change she said what do you mean change the oil?, they removed the pan and cleaned it added oil and she was buying a car within a month cause the engine blew.

only way i see it lasted that long is cause only she drove it and like an old lady, did not learn her lesson the 1984 camaro she bought new didn't fair much better

tooltech 05-06-2013 11:01 PM

guys, y'all are cracking me up.. but I'm still curious as to why my Ultra Gauge isn't picking up on the misfiring.. :( I have gone through a half a tank of gas in less than 100 miles!

That's insanely horrible mpg!

Savannah Buzz 05-07-2013 12:56 AM

Does the UG have the symbol that comes on for closed loop?

tooltech 05-07-2013 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz (Post 396709)
Does the UG have the symbol that comes on for closed loop?

Yes it does, typically within a few seconds to a minute after starting motor (depending how warm the engine still is)..

But I'm guessing, out of the dark, that I may have gotten a case of bad gas. I just filled up a couple days ago and that's when I noticed it. I usually always use Kroger or Shell branded gasolines (because I get fuel discount...) I run premium every other tankful.

I only drive 16 miles a day during the week.

TOM R 05-07-2013 11:30 AM

sounds like bad gas if it just started this tank,i had pulled my f pump last month? and the sock was clogged with a black goo no idea when that happened, new sock and it starts much better( pump and sock were replaced this time last year?)

tooltech 05-07-2013 12:05 PM

by sock, do you mean the fuel filter?

I am getting good fuel pressure at the fuel rail, but I suppose I can replace it and see if that helps.

Perhaps I have water in my tank from when I got stuck a couple weekends ago... ??