Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Clock Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 05:26 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Clock Bulb Replacement

I got into the clock bulb today - the "credit card" top and bottom trick worked well for removing the clock - and yes the bulb was shot. I removed the old and got some 17037 bulbs to replace the original and played around with soldering the leads, but.... After, cleaning off the solder - it just wasn't a good connection with the metal tabs flopping around - I noticed the metal contacts fit nicely into grooves in the twist base, so that part is nice and tight. So, I bent the bulb contacts around to the sides of the bulbs wedge base, plugged it into the plastic base and it fit nice and tight- and worked!. But the illness I have(OCD/Over-engineering) made me put a small dab of silicone to the bulb/base contact area to be sure it stays and still allows me to remove to replace it another time. On to the next problem... Russ

Old 01-05-2016, 06:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

What clock.....?
Digi clock needs a bulb? (97)
Mine works well enough, is bright enough for my kid to say "How much longer?"............from the back seat....

96 different?

Old 01-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Mudding

Mine was readable in daytime, but certainly not while driving - very readable now. I didn't even think to look down last night on the way home, so not sure what night-time looks like, but well worth the effort for me in daytime use. I'm still a no watch, no cell phone guy - my free time is mine!!! Russ

Old 01-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Mudding

Now to find a bulb for the switch lights - bulb only, no holder. Or LED's... Russ

Old 01-07-2016, 10:03 AM
TReK
Received 443 Likes on 368 Posts
Old 01-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Detoured Discovey
What clock.....?
Digi clock needs a bulb? (97)
Mine works well enough, is bright enough for my kid to say "How much longer?"............from the back seat....

96 different?
Then your bulb still works.

If it gets so dim you cannot read it anymore, then the bulbs is probably burnt out.

The following users liked this post:
Detoured Discovey (01-10-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 12:13 PM
Mudding

I paid attention last night and yes, it is lit up at night now - yeah!

WaltNYC, I saw that link a few days ago and while it is a step in the right direction, I was hoping for numbers I could cross over and procure through my NAPA store resources - they don't seem to be a standard automotive cataloged number. I'm researching standard electrical sources now along with the LED option. But, thanks for the info! Russ

Old 01-09-2016, 10:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 122 Likes on 105 Posts

I replaced mine with an led that I got online, changed it to a green color to match the rest of the lights. Much easier to see during the day and night. Fit right in with no modifications.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...-led/223/1036/

Last edited by jimvw57; 01-09-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:57 AM
Mudding
Lightbulb

I have been looking at their products - was there any mention of verifying polarity in their instructions? I was under the impression that LED's need to be attached with proper connection to positive and negative and I was thinking I could just mark the clock with proper orientation but haven't moved past that yet.
I did find today that NAPA does have a bulb available that will work for the clock- with the base attached like factory - part number 17035 (Wagner). The back protrudes 5/16" more than the OE, but that should be fine. Mine clock is installed already but I seem to remember it was listed as 1.2W, same as this one. We sale a pair pack at $3.07, or $1.58 each but only in a 10 pack - some stores may stock it that way.
jimvw57, how did brightness compare with the rest of the dash lights or have you upgraded all of them?
I have found info on the switch bulbs also - the socket/bulb combo is known as a neowedge, 3mm and I see superbrightleds has a listing for them also. Their height on the LED's was a bit higher and haven't looked to see if the switches have extra room and need to verify the polarity option also. I've also found the bulbs for these also, known as a T1 3mm with wire leads. I'm waiting for a call from a company to find out pricing and availability - I may have to purchase a few, but I will advise with info when I find it. Russ

Last edited by partsguru; 01-09-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 122 Likes on 105 Posts

When I got my truck, the clock bulb was already burned out so I can't say how bright a stock bulb would be. I did put a replacement bulb in and I noticed that it was difficult to see the numbers at a glance during the day. I have had other clocks with a red display and always thought red should be reserved for stop or trouble lights so I went for a green to match my radio (aftermarket as the radio was missing when I got the truck) The green color makes it easy to see during the day, and I believe it dims slightly at night (not positive) as the radio b dims when the lights are on too. I do like the fact that I could just attach it without having to check polarity or messing with mounting it.

Quick Reply: Clock Bulb Replacement