Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Code Reader

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Code Reader

Guys,

My local Advanced Auto's code reader has been broken for over a month now. I drove across town to another Advanced Auto to use thiers, but it turned into a real Fiasco.

The young guy behind the counter told me he would have to do it, that customers are no longer allowed since they had to buy a new machine as well. He came out, he had difficulty with my key, then he got a communication error. I told him to let me do the key and he could do the reader since he did not want me to touch it.

He continued to have trouble with it. I said here, let me see. He got an attitude and said the new reader was "retarded". It did ask him for the specific model and I did not see the available choices. he did ask if it was a Discovery, which I told him it was, but I did not see if it said anything about DI or DII. I don't know if there is a difference.

When I did see his screen, it told him to contact the manufacturer, which lead me to beliueve it to be some kind of machine problem with his brand new reader..

He insisted my plug was screwed up, I told him I had read it myself several times. He gave me a smartass reply about him knowing how to connect and use a code reader and stormed back inside.

I waited a moment and went inside. He was being a jerk, I asked was he going to contact the supplier of the code reader like it said. He started mouthing off to me that my plug was the problem, not his machine.

His Boss yelled at him to stop saying anything to me "and let HIM go about his business. I told him that all my future business would be conducted elsewhere and left.

My CEL is still on, Does anyone know of any other chains that loan code readers?

Anyone know of a reasonably priced good code reader to buy?

Old 03-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Danny. Both of those guys deserve to be fired. Sorry I do not know of a good cheap code reader for LR. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Drifting

i think auto zone also reads codes (not that im a big fan of auto zone), and i picked up a code reader at walmart for 89 dollars and it reads mine just fine. it doesnt do live data or anything fancy, but it does provide the snapshot data at the time the CEL blinked on.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Danny - I use the Actron scanner...the one I have is $187, but I have saved TRIPLE that in not having to pay somebody to tell me the codes...

Old 03-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Is there one out there that does OBD 1 codes? or a OBD1 to OBD2 adapter for LR?

Old 03-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Rock Crawling

I paid $40 for the OBD I cable for mine so I could work on my son's 86 Camaro. Really works well, AND has a USB connection so that when I switch vehicles, or want to read somebody else's for them, I can download all the vehicle specific information (including potential causes/fixes for most codes)

Old 03-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by groundandpound
I paid $40 for the OBD I cable for mine so I could work on my son's 86 Camaro. Really works well, AND has a USB connection so that when I switch vehicles, or want to read somebody else's for them, I can download all the vehicle specific information (including potential causes/fixes for most codes)
Great!

Is it some sort of secret what kind it is or where you bought it?

Old 03-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Winching

My brother has a Launch C-Reader. He told me he paid approximately 60$ for it. It works well, it gives a description of the generic codes, for manufacturer specific codes you have to search the internet for a description. And you have access to live data from the ECU. Updates are free but no updates have been available since he bought it 2 years ago. Here's the link to look it up, it's 99$ on this site.

http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ST-437001

Last edited by Jull; 03-15-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
Great!

Is it some sort of secret what kind it is or where you bought it?
Sorry Brad!

I bought the unit at "Advance Auto" - and the subsequent cable, downloads etc...directly from the Actron Website (http://www.actron.com/ )

The one that I have is the previous version of this one:
http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16364

This one lists at $251 and change, but again, I know that I have saved myself well over triple that - and friends much more than that. (One friend who had an Infinitti paid a dealer over $700 for service that still did not fix his "stalling" issue that this scanner picked up and I corrected with a 20 minute cleaning of his MAF) <-- that single event has had me sold on this particular scanner.

As with any other advice on this site - "individual mileage may vary" - but, suffice it to say that I am very happy with this one!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I will be getting one soon.

Quick Reply: Code Reader