Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Confirm external head gasket leak diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Intake manifold is out!

Attached Thumbnails Confirm external head gasket leak diagnosis-pushrods-small.jpg  
Old 06-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Drifting

This is the valley pan gasket pulled out. It was like this in the engine. All the other old gaskets I've seen have still been essentially smooth. Any idea what would cause it to buckle like that? The only things that come to my mind are a crappy installation or something weird causing a hard vacuum in the crankcase. Is there anything I should be looking for given this?

Attached Thumbnails Confirm external head gasket leak diagnosis-valley-pan-gasket-old-removed.jpg  
Old 06-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Making sure the PCV on the passenger side valve cover is open.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Drifting

Finally got the stinkin A/C compressor off the mount and hanging aside. The one bolt behind the pipe flanges was stuck good, I needed a cheater bar to crack get it moving.

Pulled the RH rocker cover last night. RAVE mentions pulling the fuel hoses away, but the heater hoses were the bigger PITA for me. I disconnected the heater valve and the plastic pipe that runs down behind the alternator which gave me enough room, but I think I'm going to take out the valve and hoses going to the heater core.

Also - everything I've read on these (and other) forums indicated you need a 12 point deep 8mm socket to get the rocker cover bolts. I can tell you that with the intake manifold removed, a plain old 8mm box end wrench will work fine. I will probably want to get the socket for when I torque it back down, but crtainly for removing the bolts, a wrench will do.

Attached Thumbnails Confirm external head gasket leak diagnosis-rh-rockers.jpg  
Old 10-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Drifting

Due to a combination of laziness, busyness, and no urgent need to get the truck on the road it sat for quite a while. Dove back into it this week.

Took off the power steering pump. Does a 9mm hex wrench even exist? I couldn't find one at any of the local stores, so I used the old drive belt to hold the pulley in place while unbolting it.

Many thanks to Batiscan whose suggestions helped me break my impasse with the exhaust manifolds. Next step - head bolts.