Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Coolant Fan clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC RAVE says 212 or 215.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

I looked it up....... alrighty, I get 212 for every engine except the 4.0 (no temps listed) on coolant temp or parked with fuel temp above 158, coolant above 230. So, 220 is possible (but not normal/usual) the condenser fans should be running to bring the temp down while tooling through city traffic. IF that is not happening then there is a problem Houston. Sorry about the confusion on high temp but I don't use a UG.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
I think heat is the biggest problem with these all aluminum engines. If this was a cast iron block with aluminum heads, I would not concern myself with it as much, but I want to take any precautions i can think of to keep my liners intact, heads and block from warping, etc.
You are right, to each his own, and I respect that. If it works for you, that is what it is all about.
I have been working on, and building engines since 1969, and like most guys, yourself included, take what we have learned over the years and apply it to what we are currently working on. Since I have only had the luxury of owning a Land Rover for 6 months, I have relied on my experience and the experience of the forum members. I usually only give my opinion, and anyone here can give theirs and believe me I listen to it all. Learn something new everyday, keeps me young.
Yada,Yada,Yada-George Costanza
I wasn't being a wise guy, really wanted to know why because we all have our ways of making magic with these trucks. Believe it or not this was my first all aluminum motor and I learned the hard way my first year. Bad fan clutch led to a split expansion tank that a year later took out the head gaskets but not in the usual spots near a coolant port but dead nuts in the middle of the heads. Just an exhaust leak, no drama. Shaved the heads at a new shop in town and learned another important fact, check well for tooling marks - gouges. I had one other episode of hg change after again having the heads mirror shaved once more by a shop that's been around with a rep for solid machining. No more of that.....yada yada yada. I'm worried if I go too low with cooling that I'll loose mileage, not atomizing fuel as well. The stock FI are like fire hose nozzles, not the greatest pattern for fuel mileage but dump it in buckets for the low down numbers, keep the A/F ratio on the rich side when wheeling.

Have you squirted any motors?

Old 08-04-2015, 08:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
I wasn't being a wise guy, really wanted to know why because we all have our ways of making magic with these trucks. Believe it or not this was my first all aluminum motor and I learned the hard way my first year. Bad fan clutch led to a split expansion tank that a year later took out the head gaskets but not in the usual spots near a coolant port but dead nuts in the middle of the heads. Just an exhaust leak, no drama. Shaved the heads at a new shop in town and learned another important fact, check well for tooling marks - gouges. I had one other episode of hg change after again having the heads mirror shaved once more by a shop that's been around with a rep for solid machining. No more of that.....yada yada yada. I'm worried if I go too low with cooling that I'll loose mileage, not atomizing fuel as well. The stock FI are like fire hose nozzles, not the greatest pattern for fuel mileage but dump it in buckets for the low down numbers, keep the A/F ratio on the rich side when wheeling.

I did not take it that way at all. The points you are making are very valid. I took it like you were picking my brain, as to why, and just was telling how I feel about these engines, and a little of my background. I have owned many aluminum engines, but were all Acura, Honda, Lexus and were new and never really had to do much on them except maintenance(wifes vehicles). I grew up in the big cid muscle car era, and usually always had a fast motorcycle until first child was born,1983, then no more motorcycle.
I would love to be able to find a good 4.6 to build in my spare time, not so much to build a race engine, but spend time on the reliability aspect, like balancing the engine, of course tophat liners, maybe 3 angle valve job, a little porting and port matching. I don't want to increase compression or big cam, per say, to stay within the engine control parameters.
Anyway Cheers,

Old 08-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
I haven't heard that term, please educate me.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Camel Trophy

We have allot in common, except I kept the bike and gave up drinking.......

I'm a Chevy guy too. Just bought a 94 Saturn SC2 for $50 because it had a broken timing chain..... lots of ideas spinning around in my head. Gonna be a cool little skate when I get done with it........ anyways...... I've had so many pre 70's vehicles I can't possibly get them all in this space. My Scouts (80 and 800A) became what drives my passion for Rovers after a few Jeep CJ's that got in the way. Still want to find a decent Rover Series IIA 88 - because their simple. I like simple.

Mega Squirt. FI/timing - realtime data-logging, engine tuning. All of the things you listed with complete control over what and how the engine reacts. Nothing more than control over your motor and any mods you make. Tuning it through hardware/software and can be free as in build your own or you can by off the shelf - MS3Pro would be a start there.