Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Coolant Loss Question - Only Losing a Certain Amount

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 03:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Double check the reservoir. I had coolant spray in areas and couldn’t for the life of me find where it was coming from. Turns out there was a tiny crack along the reservoir that spewed out coolant when it got hot. It never dripped or puddled anywhere. Just a thought. I reolaced my black reservoir and good as new.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all! I will definitely order a new reservoir since it makes sense that I wouldn't see any leaks and there is no sign that it is being burned off. I might over-fill the tank for the heck of it and check for leaks (will remove excess before running again of course).

Old 12-18-2018, 07:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Toran
Great price for $8.00, does it come with the cap included?
For that price I will buy another this week.
Thanks
yup - 16psi
It arived today and I gotta say Im happy - its thick plastic
Originally Posted by stillruns
Double check the reservoir. I had coolant spray in areas and couldn’t for the life of me find where it was coming from. Turns out there was a tiny crack along the reservoir that spewed out coolant when it got hot. It never dripped or puddled anywhere. Just a thought. I reolaced my black reservoir and good as new.
this is what I am suspecting - spraying - but mine will drip after a drive if topped off

Old 12-21-2018, 09:25 AM
Winching
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a Ford Ranger (a proper Gentleman does not own/drive/depend-on a Land Rover alone) that leaks coolant down to a certain point and no lower. I pictured an imaginary plane at that level and checked everywhere there was a coolant at that height. It was the thermostat housing (common problem on that model).

Old 12-22-2018, 06:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Had the same problem and it ended up being the coolant tank had a split at the seam, and a leaking cap that only leaked when warm. You can get an inexpensive cooling system tester to pump up pressure in the system to help find leaks.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:36 PM
Overlanding

Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up ordering a new expansion tank from Rock Auto and installing it. It is pictured below, old on the left, new on the right. After about 500 miles and several days of driving, my coolant hasn't dropped an inch! Upon further investigation, I couldn't find any leaks in the old tank or splits in the seam. But when I was going to remove the old tank, the engine was still warm, and I noticed that the expansion tank cap was a little wet. It almost looked like steam "residue". So I am assuming that there was a fault in the old cap that led to the pressure or seal in the tank to not function properly and coolant either leaked through the cap or was released as steam, I don't know.

The new tank from Rock Auto is nearly the same shape, but all of the connections are the same and there is zero issue when installing it. I would say that if you have a similar problem, this would be a good thing to try given how cheap the tank is.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

yeah that thing was worth every penny - fixed my issue too - was the fastest install I have ever done on my rover.
also I like how the only tool in your lower pic is the hammer - thats a seasoned rover owner - haha

Old 01-10-2019, 03:38 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by whiskeynipple0088
yeah that thing was worth every penny - fixed my issue too - was the fastest install I have ever done on my rover.
also I like how the only tool in your lower pic is the hammer - thats a seasoned rover owner - haha
Haha yes that hammer and my rubber mallet have proven themselves very useful. At this rate I will probably buy a hammer/mallet made of every conceivable material.

Also that tank is so much easier to see what level the coolant is at, might do the same with the washer fluid bottle, the white really ties the bay together.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:44 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Toran
It could be something hose related.
Ive had my share of coolant issues. I replaced water pump, a couple hoses, viscous fan, coolant tank cap, the thermostat, the original radiator and still I was getting a leak. I replaced the cylinder heads and changed the head gaskets. In the end it turned out to be the coolant reservoir that needed to be replaced. I drove it for over a month with no leaks (parked it under a large piece of cardboard). Oddly I added a bottle of water wetter up to the full line and damn, a small coolant puddle soon appeared on the cardboard. Add to that the newer radiator has a Winter leak due to the construction of its aluminum and plastic body!

Maybe you haven't seen much action on the gauge due to the colder weather and your thermostat not opening depending on how far/long your driving.
Some one with additional knowledge will soon chime in.
LOL I'm a part of the overheaters anonymous gang ... I'm totally doing the whole 'park over a piece of cardboard' song and dance right now too

I'm totally buying that $8 tank if they'll ship it north. Good find, thank you for sharing!!!!

Old 02-06-2019, 01:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 67 Likes on 64 Posts

For that price get two!

The following users liked this post:
user 739349 (02-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Coolant Loss Question - Only Losing a Certain Amount