Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Cooling system issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling system issue

Hello everybody. I have had my Disco I for 12 years, and 210k miles. It still runs like the day I bought it. However, I am at the limits of my experience with the cooling system.
I have put in a new water pump, fan clutch, and thermostat. But still she is getting hot. Sometimes I can run for an hour and the temperature is fine. And then sometimes I can run for 20 minutes and the temp will climb.
Any ideas where I should begin?
I can tell you I am not leaking coolant and the coolant is circulating through the radiator.
I have seen coolant temperature sensors and condensor fan switches mentionedon other posts. Is there anyway to check these for function?
Please help

Old 06-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello!
First: Be sure to post in the 200k miles or more club!
Second: Describe more when she gets hot. Is it city driving? With or without a/c on? Interstate driving? With or without a/c on?
Have you checked to see if you have a head gasket leak? You can buy a test kit for around $50.00 at auto zone.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM
6th Gear

No long trips since all this began about a year and a half ago. Mainly the trips I am seeing the temp problem are when I drive for 10 minutes stop and go, and 10 minutes highway speeds. The temp will start climbing then.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM
6th Gear

And running the a/c all the time...

Old 06-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Unless you've cleaned it recently pull your radiator out and look at the back side. I bet you'll be surprised at how clogged the fins are.
It's probably clogged inside also, at that age and mileage. You likely need to get it rodded, of course the problem with that is the crud in the radiator often blocks any leaks. But take it to a radiator shop and get their opinion on it.

This all assumes your A/C fans are working correctly. If it also overheats without running the A/C, then that points to your radiator.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Tom, is there a way to clean the fins without draining the system and pulling the radiator? I am replacing my stat tonight and if there is a way to do this easily I would appreciate it. I am still total noobie and nervous about damaging my rad.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:22 PM
6th Gear

Both a/c fans run when I turn a/c on.
I squeeze the upper hose leading to the thermostat with the reservoir cap off and can see the rush of coolant enter the reservoir, so I assume the radiator is not clogged or needing to be rodded.
Am I wrong in that assumption? I figured the reservoir provides coolant to the bottom of the radiator and the coolant cycles through it and out the upper hose.
But now I question myself.
If there is a head gasket leak, I figured there would not be an issue as long as there was coolant in the system.
I am starting to question that logic as well.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by DISCOx12YEARS
I squeeze the upper hose leading to the thermostat with the reservoir cap off and can see the rush of coolant enter the reservoir, so I assume the radiator is not clogged or needing to be rodded.
Am I wrong in that assumption?

the best way to tell is to take it to a radiator shop and have them check the flow.
squeezing the hose isnt a good indicator

Old 06-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Rock Crawling

WOW! 200K, congrats.

For some pretty cheap money you can replace your radiator and thermostat.

typically idle, stop and go issues are a matter of airflow through your radiator, and the effciency of your radiator.

Is your fan shroud good? What about your fan clutch? Can you hear your fan, huge roar?

Old 06-26-2012, 01:15 PM
6th Gear

Sounds perfect. No strange noises. Runs like a top.

Quick Reply: Cooling system issue