Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Custom Muffler Shop: New Cats

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 11:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Custom Muffler Shop: New Cats

I'll be going to a muffler-only shop (in the Bronx, NY) - Gun Hill Mufflers, anyone in the NY area know them?
They advertise $120 Magnaflow cats installed.
I've been hearing a metallic rattle underneath at startup, or when shifting gears under load.
My 96 D1 came at 90k with two different cats (one black, one chrome), to a Flowmaster 40 and no resonator.

While I did pass emissions last year, I wonder if I could let her breathe better - as cheaply as possible!!
- I understand there aren't really any performance gains with headers or high-flow systems?
- Is the passenger side cat supposedly different from the driver's side?
- the Y-pipes seem to be stock, and obviously rusty but no holes - ok to keep them?
otherwise, cheapest I've found - https://www.ebay.com/itm/EPA-Catalyt...e%3ALand+Rover
- Exhaust manifolds and flange - anything to double check there?
Thanks in advance - just wanna be prepared against any crazee upsells...

Old 08-12-2019, 04:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

With a Disco you've got all she's gonna give in the exhaust flow, it's a tiny motor. The cats are different side to side, ones a cylinder, the other a pancake. It's so they'll fit cuz it's kinda skinny under there. They both have heat shields and it sounds like you have one or one half of one which might be the rattling your hearing. Personally if they'll do it for $120 a side I'd hop on it because a new "Y" pipe is bunch more.

The following users liked this post:
Wheelspin (09-24-2020)
Old 08-12-2019, 05:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the info.
I don't recall seeing them - perhaps they're between the cats and the body?
The muffler is just that, so either they're rotted open, or they work, I'm guessing..
Is it possible to pass emissions and still have clogged cats?

Old 08-12-2019, 07:10 PM
Camel Trophy

No, I think the emissions wouldn't have passed. Is there a heat shield above the muffler? Should be. Was the noise heard before the emissions test or after?

Old 08-12-2019, 07:50 PM
Three Wheeling

Will check the heat shield tomorrow. I think the rattle was after the test.
I was also getting occasional emissions errors - but since summer started they've disappeared. weird.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:12 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ocarlo
Will check the heat shield tomorrow. I think the rattle was after the test.
I was also getting occasional emissions errors - but since summer started they've disappeared. weird.
Need the codes to know where/what. It’s not uncommon to get posts here about the media chunking, it’s old if original.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:09 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had 2 d1's that I put new cats on.. My shop told me years ago that magnaflow was notorious for causing oxygen sensor errors. But DAM! cant beat that price! I paid MUCH more for the generics. I bet that price is reflecting the D1 specific parts being dumped on the market due to there not beoing that many left on the streets.
I just bought a new A/C compressor for my D1 over Walmart dot com for $188.00 free shipping and earlier found front rotors and pads for $50.00 free shipping! Parts are being dumped so it's a good time to shop for future parts of these beast!

Old 08-23-2019, 08:17 AM
Three Wheeling

I've only spoken to them so far - dealing with too-hot temps after long drives for now.
The price isn't D1-specific, more likely the generic Magnaflows.
Thanks for the tip! - pads AND rotors for $50? - Walmart it is.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:12 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is what I got at $50.00 -- looks like they had a fire sale now back to reg price, but still kinda worth it for the free shipping.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/1994-1995...-Pad/552543774
Sorry for my bad timing.

The following users liked this post:
ocarlo (08-23-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 03:25 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rickroverover
I have had 2 d1's that I put new cats on.. My shop told me years ago that magnaflow was notorious for causing oxygen sensor errors. But DAM! cant beat that price! I paid MUCH more for the generics. I bet that price is reflecting the D1 specific parts being dumped on the market due to there not beoing that many left on the streets.
I find that bard to believe "O2 sensor errors" being myself running 94305 Magnaflow cats 20+ years as well other D1 owners what brand I suggested, Magnaflow replacement cats without any of them having "O2 sensor errors" problems. Most problems were distributor vacuum advance diaphragm failures plus sticking or sluggish mechanical advance problems. Bad OEM ignition wires and plugs, basic maintenance not kept up. Add leaking vacuum and other rubber hoses cracking and leaking, evap a big one.
The 94305 Cats we use are a universal cat used on many many vehicles, 2 1/4" inlet / outlet hence not LR specific. Now see priced at $125 to $127 each vs years ago paying $87 each through Summit. At 13 and 17 years old Magnaflow Cats, 142K miles including original O2 sensors passing our strict Kalifornia smog tests with ease. ......~~=o&o>.......

The following 2 users liked this post by BierNut:
ocarlo (09-06-2019), WaltNYC (09-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Custom Muffler Shop: New Cats