Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Describe the PERFECT Disco 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 06:54 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Describe the PERFECT Disco 1

Hello, I’m new here and a new owner of a ‘93 Disco 1 200 tdi, which I love. I’m enjoying learning as much as possible as here in America a pre-94 Disco seems somewhat rare.

I’m curious what your perfect Disco 1 would be, down to the color, options, wheels, accessories, transmission, modifications, sound system, etc. Are you a purist or do you bring your own modifications?

What do you love? What do you hate?

Old 02-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

1998 LE Oxford Blue. All original stock

1998 was 50Years of Land Rover (1948-1998) and each one has decals on the rear windows that say it. The LE’s had the perfect blend of luxury without going overboard. I had a 97 SE also and it was fine, but was missing a few interior pieces that I think look good. Oxford blue and green are the two best colors I think, white being next. LSE’s had chrome front and rear bumpers and door handles which looked ehh on Discovery’s...just my personal opinion here folks.

Now, there was one color in 1998 that I believe to be the best D1 color and it was only offered in 1998 on the LSE and that was Olive Green Metallic. It also came with very nice looking 5 spoke wheels that I don’t know the name of and have never seen for sale anywhere. I haven’t seen one in ages. One came up for sale about five years ago and I couldn’t get it. Knew it was rare in the condition it was in. Paint still glistened and interior was minty.

I think 3 door models look really cool as well.

Found a pic online:

Last edited by stillruns; 02-08-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I suppose it depends on what you are looking for from your truck? I want a good off road machine

Ideally a 3 door with an Isuzu 4BDT1 3.9 4 pot turbo diesel mated to a ZF S6-37D 6 speed manual transmission with a divorced LT230, custom HD double cardan props down to 4.37 HD ring and pinions inside pegged housing with Ashcroft Transmissions Ashlockers and HD half shafts and standard drive members at the rear and an Ashlocked front with the same 4.37 HD R&Ps and shafts with Ashcrofts HD CV joints with 35" Maxxis Trepadors on a +3" suspension lift and +2" body lift, custom wheel arch flares, custom lowline winch bumper and a Red winches Hornet 2 twin motor winch and a custom rear tube bumper on the rear with a Red winches Explorer 2 winch, both would be kitted out with 12mm Dyneema synthetic winch line and Factor 55 pro link shackle mounts.

I think it should be quite good off road if anyone wants to make it?

Old 03-03-2019, 03:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

pre 94 discos aren't just somewhat rare... Id be surprised if there are a dozen here.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
1998 LE Oxford Blue. All original stock

1998 was 50Years of Land Rover (1948-1998) and each one has decals on the rear windows that say it. The LE’s had the perfect blend of luxury without going overboard. I had a 97 SE also and it was fine, but was missing a few interior pieces that I think look good. Oxford blue and green are the two best colors I think, white being next. LSE’s had chrome front and rear bumpers and door handles which looked ehh on Discovery’s...just my personal opinion here folks.

Now, there was one color in 1998 that I believe to be the best D1 color and it was only offered in 1998 on the LSE and that was Olive Green Metallic. It also came with very nice looking 5 spoke wheels that I don’t know the name of and have never seen for sale anywhere. I haven’t seen one in ages. One came up for sale about five years ago and I couldn’t get it. Knew it was rare in the condition it was in. Paint still glistened and interior was minty.

I think 3 door models look really cool as well.

Found a pic online:

Woodcote Green is the color, I owned a 98 LSE in Woodcote Green, if it was a true 50th Anniversary Edition it also had a very rare interior color that was very nice! The chrome bumpers might look odd at first, but slap on some D2 headlamps, and some MT's (mine had special wheels for it being a 50th Anniversary Edition which I swapped out for my favorite RRC/D90/D1 wheel the Boost Alloy) and it looks absolutely amazing. I eventually got an ARB bumper for the front so I swapped out the rear bumper for a black one without the painted plastics on it. I liked the Aluminum colored door handles as they reminded me of a RRC.

Probably the cleanest/mint D1 I'll ever own. I sold it for an 04 D2 and I honestly miss it. It handled great on the road, every single thing worked on it, and the paint was absolutely beautiful! I've also seen a few D2's and a P38 in that color, but IMHO it's without a doubt the sharpest color LR made.

I actually still have the F/R Chrome bumpers in my shop. They're $$$ as they were only available on 98 model LSE's.

Last edited by Best4x4; 03-03-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which geeen is it?

my 98 looks almost just like the one in those two pictures. It has the aluminum colored door handles, crime front and rear bumpers and those wheels. The only thing that makes me think it’s a 50th anniversary is a rear cargo mat with 50 th anniversary stitched into it and the darker interior. How else would it know?

Old 03-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Woodcote Green

Old 03-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Pro Wrench

50th Anniversary really isn’t all that special. It was just the 50th year of LR and all the 1998 Discovery’s would have the sticker on each side of the rear cargo windows. Maybe an embroidered floormat at but that’s about it. They weren’t special editions. I do think it is cool and adds some extra value to have the 98 with the decals. Maybe not much but they were only offered in 98 so it counts for something.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Crazy

How crazy would I be to sell my 98 with 85k and buy a 2001 D2 with 140k? The 01 has had head gaskets and lots of things done to it and been stored in a grave for a few years.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:16 AM
Pro Wrench

Pretty crazy. If you are daily driving this don’t buy a D2. Go get a Toyota or something more reliable. You won’t enjoy spending all your time and money fixing every little thing and it has 140k already. Keep your 98 because it’s cool and rare and get a reliable daily driver.

Quick Reply: Describe the PERFECT Disco 1