Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

diff fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff fluid

i have a 96 disco 162,000 its been making a whisling sound up in the front end somwhere for a few weeks so today i changed the fluid dont know how long its been since last change it was half black really black and half silver refilled it 85/140 and still making the noise i think i need new wheel bearings is the color of the fluid normal maby a additive in ther any advice is much aprecated

Old 04-17-2011, 05:14 PM
4th Gear

I assume it's your front diff? The grease from the swivels migrates into the front diff over time and will color the fluid up there - not too big of a deal.

definitely check the wheel bearings, and at the same time, re-grease the prone-to-fail cv joints.

good luck.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Does it sound like a airplane?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Drifting

i jacked up the front wheel and i could rock the wheel side to side the bearing r shot and it didnt sound like a airplane oh yah it only had about 1 quart of oil in the front diff

Old 04-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would replace the wheel bearings and cross you're fingers that's it. If you had a lot of silver come out in the diff fluid, it could be a pinion or carrier bearing getting chewed up.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Drifting

i forgot to mention it only whistles after 30 mph when i let off the gas the noise stops. i think im going to take the diff apart and check everything out before somthing serious brakes

Old 04-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Best plan on a complete front and rear rebuild/service of all the hubs along with a complete reseal of your front swivels.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Drifting

i hope not my local napa and car quest dont carry much and the people know nothing about land rover and laugh every time i need somthing they told me my 96 disco has a 3.9 v8 i told them its the 4.0 they said i was wrong its a 3.9 i had to have them look at my engine for them to believe me i can drive 30 miles to Portland,OR and get most parts from a couple of mechanics or stealerships and they always make sure i got the right part. this is my dd i dont have a second vehicle and not a place i can work on it for a weeks at a time

sorry about the rant i hate my parts stores retards

i will give a update when done and so pics thanks for the info

Old 04-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This is why you buy your parts online.
Land Rover Parts & Rover Accessories From Atlantic British | Discovery, Range Rover, LR3, LR2, Defender, Freelander and Land Rover Series Parts & Accessories is my #1 go to.
RovahFarm - Land Rover Parts and Accessories - Discovery, Range Rover, LR3, LR2, Defender, Freelander and Land Rover Series is #2.
Land Rover Parts and Vehicle Fleet Sales from Rovers North has great diagrams for free online.
I do not know where you live, but I live in MI and AB is on the east coast and if I order Mon before 5pm and use FedEx I have the parts at my house by Wed afternoon.
Rovahfarm uses UPSP flat rate shipping, saves money but takes upto 10 days.
RN uses UPS, more expensive than FedEx and take a extra day to get to me.
Plan ahead, buy enough parts to make shipping worth while.
Go to the tech section and see what parts interchange with what you need, lots of other parts fit our trucks.
A fan clutch for example, $200 for a LR fan clutch, or $50 for a Chevy fan clutch that fits just fine from AutoZone.
You are going to go broke and give up on the truck if all you do it buy parts from the dealer and have to drive 60 miles to get them.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Drifting

im going to try not to go broke and i love my disco i would never give up on it but ur right i need to buy parts on line thanks for the everything

Quick Reply: diff fluid