Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Diff Lock Stuck....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He's right fish you got it dead wrong, there are only five positions even if you counted neutral locked it would only be six. the fact you missed the most important detail, the fact you have to have the tranny in neutral to shift between high and low and under 5mph, leads me to believe you don't have a correct understanding of the function and use of the tcase.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Pro Wrench

The best way to understand the tcase is to read the owners manual. I'm not trying to bash anyone but this topic has been hashed over so many times its pathetic.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Check out Danny's links. You might be able reach up from the bottom and grab it. Honestly I would just pull the console. You can work from inside the cab so it won't be terribly cold. It might take a half hour to pull it out.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by tweakrover
He's right fish you got it dead wrong, there are only five positions even if you counted neutral locked it would only be six. the fact you missed the most important detail, the fact you have to have the tranny in neutral to shift between high and low and under 5mph, leads me to believe you don't have a correct understanding of the function and use of the tcase.
Ok, if you say so. Just because I didn't mention the Neutral to shift Hi/Lo doesn't mean I missed anything. My response wasn't meant to be a how-to for the CDL shifter.
When the TC is neither in Hi or Lo and audible alarm is emitted. Perhaps I misspoke when I said the the CDL can be in neutral but there are times when the CDL isn't fully locked/unlocked. It's probably unlocked/locked enough to get the job done but I wouldn't drive around like that.
I guess I've been running all these trails unlocked in Hi. That explains a lot, LOL.
You guys are too funny. You'll get all over me for using terminology you don't like, but a guy that puts Honda headlights trim on his Disco gets patted on the back.

Last edited by fishEH; 01-24-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishEH
Check out Danny's links. You might be able reach up from the bottom and grab it. Honestly I would just pull the console. You can work from inside the cab so it won't be terribly cold. It might take a half hour to pull it out.
I am working from home tomorrow. It sounds like something I can get done during a long lunch. Not really the way I wanted to spend my day

Old 01-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Pro Wrench

How can there be 9 there is no middle position from left to right, there is 3 positions on the left and 3 on the right. That isn't an opinion or a "we all have our own way of doing things" situation. Your idea that there are 9 positions but only 3 are used is silly to say the least, there are 6 positions of the shifter and 5 combination of functions. I'll spell it out because you've annoyed me enough with your ignorance of the topic. The shifter can move 3 positions from front to back, forward is low, middle is neutral, back is high. If the lever is on the right the cdl is disengaged, if its on the left the cdl is engaged. you can move the lever around any way around the pattern you want as line as when you move it between the high and low the transmission is in neutral.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by tweakrover
How can there be 9 there is no middle position from left to right, there is 3 positions on the left and 3 on the right. That isn't an opinion or a "we all have our own way of doing things" situation. Your idea that there are 9 positions but only 3 are used is silly to say the least, there are 6 positions of the shifter and 5 combination of functions. I'll spell it out because you've annoyed me enough with your ignorance of the topic. The shifter can move 3 positions from front to back, forward is low, middle is neutral, back is high. If the lever is on the right the cdl is disengaged, if its on the left the cdl is engaged. you can move the lever around any way around the pattern you want as line as when you move it between the high and low the transmission is in neutral.
I already addressed this above, please read.
Not to mention why don't you take it easy. You're getting all worked up. There's no reason some friendly discussion can't take place without you getting all tweaked. Peace brother.

Last edited by fishEH; 01-24-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fish, please realize no one is attacking you. Just trying to have a correct description of it and what to do to fix it, that is all.

Have you had yours apart? If you feel 9 distinct positions, it seems that your linkage is not operating as smoothly as it should if everything is operating properly.

I worked on mine for quite a bit before I finally freed it up. Bottom line is that rotation of that triangular looking selector plate is what actually locks or unlocks the yoke internal to the transfer case and that can be achieved by putting a wrench on the nut shown. The only reason I am so adamant about it is because I have done it.

Don't get so upset when others do not agree with you. like I said there are plenty of pics in the link in my signature. Also has been posted on here numerous times.

I am certain you were trying to be helpful, sorry you got offended with the replies that I and some others made, there is a young lady with a ukelele that will comfort you on the link in my signature for those whom i offended, if you haven't checked it out yet, please do, If that doesn't bring a smile to your face. I do not know what else to say.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the piece I was talking about looking straight down from inside the vehicle with the console removed:
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2021...02688643GEeodj
Movement of the shifter to the right rotates this piece CCW to lock the center diff.

Here is another overall view where you can see the linkage after I greased the top box and the plate is partially visible at the bottom.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2504...02688643DPMLVh

This is the little box on the top of the linkage, completely removed from the vehicle.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2448...02688643WciHeh

Another view of the removed box showing the bottom of the box: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2456...02688643bqrjXD

If the OP only saw thick matting, you probably only removed the dress up cover. The rubber cover has to be drilled out to remove.

Hopefully this clarifies things. If not, go see the lady with the ukelele.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 01-26-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1, you dudes need to chill out. I would almost expect this kind of BS on D-Web, which is why I usually post my technical issues here. Brett has been a HUGE help to me on this problem and many others as well.

#2, back to the topic....

I pulled out the shift linkage this morning and just to let you know, nothing was stuck. As stated, the sifter moved fine. It looks like the ball/socket mechanism had completely disintegrated.

I was able to shift the truck back into un-lock mode using a pry-bar before removing the shifter. Now it is sitting in the shop waiting to be cleaned up and rebuilt.

Quick Reply: Diff Lock Stuck....