Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

The dirty Sunroof word

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 06:25 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The dirty Sunroof word

At the risk of an onslaught of nay sayers and commentary on water leaks I’m trying to get to the bottom of the, “Sunroof Problem.”

It sounds like the factory sunroofs installed in all D1’s were faulty almost new. Does anyone know if the quality improved with the D2 sunroofs?

I’ve got a D1 with no sunroof ever installed... and I want one, but I have no problem putting something non-standard in if standard was **** in the first place. Any constructive ideas welcome and very much appreciated!

Old 02-06-2021, 06:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Seal them, weld them, whatever it takes. Close and never open again. If you want an suv with sunroofs you’ll need to get a Toyota.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:57 AM
Mudding

So put a Toyota sun roof in the D1 not a bad idea

Old 02-06-2021, 10:41 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You could put up a picture of clear blue sky on your headliner and maybe install some fans for a cool-breeze affect lol.

Seriously though, your disco is much more valuable without them. Enthusiasts will hunt for an SD like you wouldn’t believe, I have one and I know. Sunroof ones are much more common and less expensive BECAUSE of their sunroof issues. There’s already so many issues with these 20+ year old trucks, why intentionally make more and also and ruin the value?

Old 02-06-2021, 01:47 PM
Mudding

Thanks Ononomous, for giving a reason for your opinion, that’s what I’ve been trying to find. So do you think the reason the sunroofs fail is because they’re 20 years old and they haven’t been maintained? If given good seals and proper parts do you believe it would work as it should?

Old 02-06-2021, 06:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

After 20 years of age, you will be fighting worn parts,vintage electronics, and accumulated dirt and /or rust. I have a 97 D1 with a sunroof that didn't work when I got it (luckily it was closed) and a 99 D1 that has a pair that didn't work. I replaced the control board and the 99 now works, but I don't use it. A/C is much better and it doesn't leak water inside. This coming from a devoted convertible guy. Always had one and loved every one.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoNewbe (02-07-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 11:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I took mine out, sealed everything up how it needed to be. It's been fine for the past 4 years. Works great, I open it often in the summer to let the heat out of the car while its parked at work.

D1 and D2 sunroofs are the same, the seals aren't any better in one than the other (other than the D2 being newer and less brittle).

Water can easily get in UNDER the sunroof trim on the outside, the roof gets a little warped, or someone puts too much weight up there and it creates a gap just big enough for water to pool and go under the trim.
People think its leaking from the sunroof assembly itself, when its really coming from there and just seal the whole thing up.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoNewbe (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 07:58 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by logan_gibson

Water can easily get in UNDER the sunroof trim on the outside, the roof gets a little warped, or someone puts too much weight up there and it creates a gap just big enough for water to pool and go under the trim.
People think its leaking from the sunroof assembly itself, when its really coming from there and just seal the whole thing up.

Thanks, did you ever figure out how to address the warping of the roof so that didn’t happen to yours?

Old 02-07-2021, 08:00 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jimvw57
After 20 years of age, you will be fighting worn parts,vintage electronics, and accumulated dirt and /or rust. I have a 97 D1 with a sunroof that didn't work when I got it (luckily it was closed) and a 99 D1 that has a pair that didn't work. I replaced the control board and the 99 now works, but I don't use it. A/C is much better and it doesn't leak water inside. This coming from a devoted convertible guy. Always had one and loved every one.

thanks, yeah I had no delusions that I wouldn’t need to replace all of the seals on a unit I got, but I was wondering if it would work properly once I did that.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

It sounds like you have your mind made up. We are trying to steer you right here. The sunroofs have a well documented history of problems that aren’t worth the time and money at this point. I’ve known a few in the past who had aftermarket sunroofs installed on theirs and even they didn’t hold up. You have the most desirable D1 there is, the SD without sunroofs. Have you considered trading your SD for an SE or LE that already have the sunroofs? I’m sure there are plenty who would.

Quick Reply: The dirty Sunroof word