Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco I Possitives?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also just bought a '98 a couple weeks ago and was appalled in my initial impression of the quality. However, since working on it, I have to agree the main components are good, but do require extensive maintenance. Most of the truly hopeless stuff is minor and frivolous. So if your expectations are to "restore" it, it's foolish. Instead, concentrate on repairing neglect and then maintaining the major components. Expect parts to be expensive and to need more than you planned. Once everything important is in good shape, expect to continue to need to do regular maintenance at a fairly high cost in parts and materials. If you do what's required, then I think it's reasonable to expect the vehicle to be reliable, dependable and good off-road. Expect fuel to be expensive too. It takes premium, and lots of it. If you didn't expect it to be expensive, or even expected to drive it a lot at not very high expense, then it will probably disappoint and the sooner you sell it the less you will lose. I knew going into it that it is a hobby vehicle, where one ends up spending triple what it's resale value will be when they're done. Personally, I don't have any sentimentality toward it. I like tractors and pickups better myself, but for off road with four people and a dog, it's one of the best tickets out there.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from a 300 mile camping trip with mine. Pulled my 4600+ pound camper the whole time with the A/C on driving highway speeds. Mind you I saved mine from the scrap yard last November. It came with a blown engine and a complete lack of proper care. I have since spent the afternoons in the driveway and the evenings on the web both doing research and ordering parts. I have completely fallen in love with this truck. From building an engine to fixing more electrical issues than I can remember, replacing window seals, fuel injectors, the fuel pump, wheel bearings, suspension bushings, the coolant tank, the head liner and so much more than I can remember. The fact is, if it was beat up, it will need love to bring it back. Stick with it and you will not be sorry.

Dodger

Old 06-06-2011, 05:53 AM
Overlanding

This is excellent input.

My plan just to qualify "mint" is to have a clean, functional, reliable vehicle to take camping up in the mountains. It will see off-roading as it was designed to do. It will never be showroom quality, nor do I want it to be.

I have the interior out of it right now. It apparently had some leaks (heater core) and the sound deadening material was saturated. It won't go back in because I don't mind road and engine noise. The carpet and seats however are now very clean after hours of washing.

I expect this truck to get about 150 miles per month on average, so it is just a hobby. I will run premium because I can afford to at that utilization. I am a little surprised that it demands premium. I have owned high performance vehicles that also stated premium, but would automatically adjust to "regular" by retarding the ignition.
As for paint, its getting flat dark OD Green or Satin black. I always liked that on a truck. It should look cool and it will never need wax! LOL

Anyway, thanks for the input everyone! I appreciate it.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:21 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give it time; you will soon be back here posting updates on what this truck can accomplish.

I bought mine in rough condition - mechanically. Cosmetically it was mint, but had been neglected by (dare I say) a woman owner. It had fouled plugs and sat in a garage for over 2 years getting eaten by mice. I offered a low $ and she bit like a Largemouth bass and figured she was getting over on me. I spent about 45 minutes patching vacuum lines and cleaning plugs and - to her surprise, drove it home.

A call to DiscoMike helped me get things moving and since then it gets better every time I drive it.

I notice you say the interior is out. So is mine. I just removed everything and am in the process of herculining the floor/wheel wells. I use this a lot hauling fishing gear, camping crap, fourwheeler parts, empty beer cans etc and the carpet just serves no purpose. Well, other than a sponge... Hopefully I'll finish prep work this week and get a coat on this weekend. I'll be sure to share pics - if anyone wants.

Bottom line, don't give up. You'll be glad you stuck with it. Take advantage of how cheap you can get these things... all because people didn't take care of them.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Mudding

Great idea on getting rid of the water sponge sound proofing, I did, and painted the floors with rustoleum hammered black paint. Then cut the carpets so they can easily be pulled out for wet adventures. While I was at it I moved all the wiring harnesses up off the floor excetpt the two that run to the B pillars. They will fit right up under the center console. All those boxes and relays under the passenger seat fit nicely behind the glove box up high where water can't hurt em! The Cd changer had to go, and now small 2 ton floor jack is stored under my drivers seat and a recovery kit under the passengers. Good luck with it!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you have exactly the right idea about these things. They are worthy to be mechanically correct, but otherwise, flat paint and if it was built with some stupid concession to market demands of the original purchasers who paid far too much (v8, leather, auto, you get the picture), re-do it so it is fit for purpose and it will actually end up better than new.

With that said, I'm actually keeping the headliner and carpet in mine. The PO replaced the headliner and the carpet is in great shape. I just put in some heavy rubber Land Rover mats and cargo liner and the customary 1/16th layer of perma-dirt. I haven't dealt with water or rust yet. Mine came from yuppie ownership in California and now resides on the edge of the arid great basin where humidity is bone dry.

My paint was defective which is common for some years, especially when they're abused. So the paint failure is a factory defect but the mass swirl marks comes from neglect and abuse. You can mask the hood and spray flat black. There is no reason to use an expensive matte vinyl decal if the paint is bad anyway. My roof rack covers the paint problems on the roof. On the bodysides there is only scratches and swirl marks. Some of that will buff out (second Tuesday). There's also a place for good stickers. Mine's not bad enough for a complete Rustoleum job.

Oh, under my seat? Factory six disc CD changer. It works and in a few years it will be almost as choice as my old '73 with the 8-track.

Last edited by nevada ben; 06-07-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:18 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by jdhuegel1
I notice you say the interior is out. So is mine. I just removed everything and am in the process of herculining the floor/wheel wells. I use this a lot hauling fishing gear, camping crap, fourwheeler parts, empty beer cans etc and the carpet just serves no purpose. Well, other than a sponge... Hopefully I'll finish prep work this week and get a coat on this weekend. I'll be sure to share pics - if anyone wants.
I would be interested in seing the hurculined interior.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shane87
I would be interested in seing the hurculined interior.
Still working on the prep - still hope to put a coat on this weekend.