Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco leans n other help

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Disco leans n other help

Ok, my 1994 disco leans to the passenger side, I'm assuming worn coils, is this something I can do n my driveway or should I pay to have this done. Also, my P.O. had the oil pan gasket changed but didn't use a gasket, used some sort of gasket maker n a tube n now she leaks, I have tried to get her off but, no avail, found a shop that will remove and install correct gasket for $125. I want to change out spark plugs and wires, everyone has a different take on what's best, I'm not rich but, I also don't want to be cheap at the same time as this is my daily driver. Can I use any 8mm wires that are for my rover, change the distributor cap change as well? I have changed out the diff fluid with Lucas oil as well as transfer case, oil changes every 5k with mobil1 and a wix filter, installed a dry AEM air filter and a added magnaflow catback exhaust. I guess I just have slot of questions and my main resource is this site. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wynhd - I need to leave most of your questions for the other Landie Lovers, but I do know about the wires.
Stock are 7mm. you can use any 8mm - just don't drop to 6mm unless you want to change every 6 months. Just this change alone (PO had cheapie 6mm wires) 8mm wires and new plugs eradicated all of the "misfire" codes I was getting. (Although, I kinda miss the cool electrical show from the wires shorting out against the block... NOT)
And last - the "Landie Lean" - I also believe this is due to worn coils, and have read others fixing with spacers...I just don't know to what success. I bought a pair from a "pick yard" off a rolled '96 with 65K on the ticker for $30 - and solved the issue for me.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lean is likely worn springs. I have the same issue, and I will be replacing them this spring/summer.

It should be doable in your driveway if you have a few required tools and safety equipment to keep your Rover from squashing you.

This write-up is a good guide; I imagine there are others out there.

http://www.4x4wire.com/rover/disco/tech/ome/

Old 03-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get some good shocks and springs on it to fix the lean. If the originals are still o9n it, they are shot after that many years. Removing the shocks/springs is doable in your driveway, but you should have a helper and you can use a bottle jack to help get adequate space to get the old spring out. I found a good write-up on another forum, but it was a few years ago, I would have to look for it.

I would attack that oil pan myself before paying 125 for someone else to do it. Even if you had to buy a new oilpan, I think you could be better off. Also clean the oil pick-up filter screen while you have it apart.

Good Luck with it.

I bought the ProLine wires from Rovers North. They are about fifty bucks, but very good.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey

Fix the passenger side lean by eating at Mcdionalds for 30 days straight.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks.. @ AKdisco, funny... Will attempt ,to do the oil pan again, its on there pretty good tho, maybe a pry bar or something.. @ dannylee, will look into those wires, leakydisco, the write up is right up my alley, sounds like a great way to learn about the truck some more and a great reason to have a 6 pack.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you have all the bolts outta the oil pan and give it a few good smacks with a rubber mallet (after you drain the oil of course) and it should loosen up. If not get a small prybar or screwdriver and start in one corner and pry away. As far as the rest of the stuff I think the other guys got that all covered.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

since the PO used a silicone gasket maker you could just run a razor or x-acto around it... between the mating faces.

And DEFINITELY clean the pickup filter.