Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery 1 200 tdi or 300 tdi engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:39 PM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Now, as far as 200TDI vs 300TDI. I think the main benefit of the later engine is the availability of parts. The 200TDI is a pretty old engine and from what I've heard, at least when it comes to the 90's and 110's, there just aren't a lot of good engines left. The 300TDI is a little newer and the number that are out there still in reasonable good shape is greater than with the 200TDI.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by atancreti
Regardless of your political view:
Take not people that our government (REGARDLESS OF POLITICAL VIEW) is making our gas prices in the US more like Europe. Thats bull**** that Petrol is so damn expensive. Why is oil $80.00 and my gas is $3.40 a gallon? Why can't my gas be $2.50 a gallon when oil was $80.00??? Also, the next time some ****head in Saudi land gets pissed at us and raises oil prices to $150.00 a barrel I doubt my gas prices are $3.20 like they were when oil was $140.00. Instead it will be more like $4.50 a gallon. Do you understand people?? WTF? Sorry to rant but why can one day oil be $50.00 a barrel and gas be $2.00 then three months later oil goes up and down and lands at $45.00 a barrel and gas be $3.00?????????????? Someone is screwing us.
Once the price goes up and people are willing to pay it then why in the hell lower it?
And Paul is right, its not the Gov. that is raising the price, the gas tax has not been raised since Bill Clinton was in office, it is the oil companies and the cost of finding, drilling and refining the oil.
We get almost 90% of our crude oil from Canada, it is tar sand and shale oil, VERY hard to extract and very expensive to refine not to mention most of the oil is inside the Arctic Circle so it has a long way to go, and now they want to run a pipe line from Canada to Texas, just like the Alaskan Pipeline, only the full length of our country.
I dont see any problems with that, do you? (sarcastic font)
Until we demand diesels and stop buying full sized SUV's to drive by ourselves to the mall to buy a pair of shoes we cant bitch about the price of gas.
If you want to drive a gas guzzling 12mph SUV to get overpriced coffee and run errands that could be ran just as easily in a 4cyl Camry, then pony up and pay the price.
Wake up people!!! We have it pretty good!!
(nothing towards atancreti, just a generalization)

Old 10-07-2011, 06:33 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
Once the price goes up and people are willing to pay it then why in the hell lower it?
And Paul is right, its not the Gov. that is raising the price, the gas tax has not been raised since Bill Clinton was in office, it is the oil companies and the cost of finding, drilling and refining the oil.
We get almost 90% of our crude oil from Canada, it is tar sand and shale oil, VERY hard to extract and very expensive to refine not to mention most of the oil is inside the Arctic Circle so it has a long way to go, and now they want to run a pipe line from Canada to Texas, just like the Alaskan Pipeline, only the full length of our country.
I dont see any problems with that, do you? (sarcastic font)
Until we demand diesels and stop buying full sized SUV's to drive by ourselves to the mall to buy a pair of shoes we cant bitch about the price of gas.
If you want to drive a gas guzzling 12mph SUV to get overpriced coffee and run errands that could be ran just as easily in a 4cyl Camry, then pony up and pay the price.
Wake up people!!! We have it pretty good!!
(nothing towards atancreti, just a generalization)
Paul, spike,
You right, cheap gas days are over at least until an election. I think we should open up every possible spot in this country that we know has oil ex, Alaska oil reserve. Why not? We do need some damn diesels in this country but I do believe that the EPA days they cause more environment problems. Anyone remember the hydrogen car ideas from the 80s?? that would be a nice engine to have.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:45 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Paul, spike,
You right, cheap gas days are over at least until an election. I think we should open up every possible spot in this country that we know has oil ex, Alaska oil reserve. Why not? We do need some damn diesels in this country but I do believe that the EPA days they cause more environment problems. Anyone remember the hydrogen car ideas from the 80s?? that would be a nice engine to have.

At least until an election???? I though you wanted to keep politics out of this. And as far as the EPA is concerned, you're too young to remember the Cayahoga River catching fire thanks to indiscriminent dumping of chemicals into the waterway.

It seems like you've bought into, and at such a young age, a lot of the bull**** propaganda machines like Fox News spew out. The world, and it's oil aren't there solely for Americans to waste. We, as a people behave like whiny spoiled brats who think we deserve it all, including every drop of oil on the planet without so much as a single thought about the future. Atancreti, your comments sadden me.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
At least until an election???? I though you wanted to keep politics out of this. And as far as the EPA is concerned, you're too young to remember the Cayahoga River catching fire thanks to indiscriminent dumping of chemicals into the waterway.

It seems like you've bought into, and at such a young age, a lot of the bull**** propaganda machines like Fox News spew out. The world, and it's oil aren't there solely for Americans to waste. We, as a people behave like whiny spoiled brats who think we deserve it all, including every drop of oil on the planet without so much as a single thought about the future. Atancreti, your comments sadden me.
AMEN!!!
And to add the huge oil spill here in MI last year in the Kalamazoo River that they are still cleaning up from a broken pipeline that runs from Canada to the refineries in Chicago.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Team Owner

Paul, spike,
Politics has nothing to do with the price of fuel, you dont want EPA regulations?
Move to China, where everyone has to wear masks just to go outside, they dont have any EPA type of stuff.
And even if we did open all land to drilling, it takes 3-5 years to set up, drill and refine that first barrel of oil.
Even if it was open season on drilling, do you really think the oil companies would start flooding the market with crude oil which would lower the price? And cut into their own profits? Really? You think these greedy rich bastards care about you or I? NOT!!!
Open the Federal Oil Reserves you say? 6 months before that reaches market and then that leaves our Industrial Military Complex without a guaranteed oil supply to fuel itself when the rest of the oil runs out.
That would leave us open to invasion like nobodies business.
It is all one big game of chess and we are just pawns, the sooner you realize you are a pawn the longer you can stay in the game.
As for the hydrogen cars, BMW has a 750 that runs on petrol or hydrogen, you can buy one today if you wanted to.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The 300Tdi is going to give you a bit more torque and HP over the 200.
If you can swing it the IH Powerstroke 2.8, which is based on the 300Tdi, is even more powerful for a Disco.

Old 02-07-2021, 11:49 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear driver,
The diesel engine (200 tdi and a little later 300 tdi) has been especially developped for the disco first and a little later used for the RR and the Def.
It has a far greater torque at a rather low revs than the V8 petrol engine, that is why the disco is pleasant to drive even towing or offroading with these engines.The 200 tdi is more noisy than the 300 tdi and in the same time some maintenance actions are more frequent on the 200 tdi. As a determining example the changing of the driving belt (driving the "distribution" of gazoil to the engine) has to be done every 60 000 km on a 200 tdi when you can ask for that only every 120 000 km on a 300 tdi. The cost is significant in both cases that is why you're quieter and you're saving money with a 300 tdi, what I have on my disco (23 years and 300 000 km).

Old 02-07-2021, 03:30 PM
Winching
Received 129 Likes on 113 Posts

I vote for the 300TDI
More refined, smoother, quieter better at highway speed
More HP and torque
More 300TDI parts available

Old 02-07-2021, 05:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

I vote for the 2.8TGV.....

Quick Reply: Discovery 1 200 tdi or 300 tdi engine