Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery I Frame Repair/Sections

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 08:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Discovery I Frame Repair/Sections

I see there are rear frame sections offered from various venders for the Discovery II's, but what are the options for the Discovery I? I would hate to scrap an otherwise nice vehicle because of the dreaded rear frame rot. And most local shops are very hesitant to do frame repair or want an unreasonable amount of money if they will do the repair.

Options?

Old 03-26-2020, 08:54 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

My D2 frame is rotted out on both rear sides, but is otherwise in good shape, so I've been back and forth on the best fix too.
I can spend $1500+ on a frame rear back half, which bolts on, then gets welded. Not bad for me because my Dad can weld it, but...what does that do to future resale value?
If I was buying, I would pass, simply because I wouldn't know the quality of the welds, if the frame was straight, and that there are still good D2's with rust free frames.
I considered a galvanized frame, but don't really want to spend $6k for one, plus a week's work, and tieing up my buddy's lift(I'de need to pay him something too for the other work he couldn't do in the meantime).
Then there's a donor truck. Would I swap my D2 body and drivetrain on to a good stock frame? Or swap my drivetrain(and interior if need be) into a donor truck with a good frame and body? That would be the cheapest and easiest solution, and likely the route I'll eventually go.
I get that you are much more limited in options with a D1 too. But, I think I'de start searching for a D1 with a decent body and rust free frame, preferably with a bad engine, trans, worn out suspension(which most will have, lol), so that the asking price will be a few hundred bucks. I wouldn't even care if it had a title, as I'de use the one I had and swap dash vin plates.
Will the D1 donor you need be hard to find, or need shipped to you because it's days away? Probably, but it's the cheapest and easiest option.
Good luck with it.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:42 AM
Three Wheeling

That's my issue, D1s having less options compared to the D2. I really don't want to do a whole frame swap.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:53 AM
Three Wheeling

If a D2 I would just spring for a new rear section and weld it in. Another option for the D2 are these frame plates offered by Powerful UK Ltd.

How much different are the D2 frames in this area than the D1?

https://www.powerfuluk.com/vehicles/...epair-kit.html

Old 04-21-2020, 11:38 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

D2 frames had thinner gauge steel than the D1s. They (the 1s) don’t have the same frame rot problems. Fun fact, the 2s has thinner steel than the p38s as well and in fact had different corrosion warranty’s when new.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I've got a few good frames down here in Alabama.
Southern trucks so minimal if any rust.

I'm up for cutting sections or selling whole frames.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:38 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by logan_gibson
I've got a few good frames down here in Alabama.
Southern trucks so minimal if any rust.

I'm up for cutting sections or selling whole frames.
D1 or D2?
Price for full frame?

Old 04-23-2020, 08:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
D1 or D2?
Price for full frame?
Currently I have a D1 full frame.

I have a D2 in, but It looks like it may have a slight bit of rust developing in a spot. I haven't had time to go through that truck.

D1 frame $250 picked up (picked up by transport truck is fine as well, I just dont want to make a pallet). More if you make me palatalize it and ship it.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:55 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by logan_gibson
Currently I have a D1 full frame.

I have a D2 in, but It looks like it may have a slight bit of rust developing in a spot. I haven't had time to go through that truck.

D1 frame $250 picked up (picked up by transport truck is fine as well, I just dont want to make a pallet). More if you make me palatalize it and ship it.
Ok, thanks, I need a D2
The OP has a D1

Old 04-23-2020, 07:17 PM
Three Wheeling

I was looking at an otherwise nice D1, but the frame had rust issues from living in the Northeast. I took my mad money and bought a 1978 Mercedes 280E. I already own one D1 that is nice, this other one would have been a Winter vehicle for my step daughter. She will continue to drive the Volvo 240 I guess.

Quick Reply: Discovery I Frame Repair/Sections