Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery XD Died while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 12:26 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery XD Died while driving

Hi my name is josh and I am a lucky owner of a 97 Discovery XD. Today while driving out of town the Discovery died while driving and pulled over to the side of the road. Would not restart. I hear the fuel pump whining but had to get it towed home because it would not restart no matter what. First Land rover and it has never left me stranded until yesterday. Even just drove it 3,100 miles from Alaska to Colorado without a hitch. So it's random that it died with no smoke, fluid or any indication of why it died. Hoping some old Land Rover gurus could point me in a direction

Old 05-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Did it start after cooling down?
Codes?
Do you have something for live data like an ultra gauge?

Turn on ignition and press the schrader valve on fuel rail to see if fuel comes out with pressure , watch eyes

Old 05-03-2014, 12:43 PM
4th Gear

No start after cool down. I pulled the negative so I accidentally erased codes and so no codes. Will try the fuel rail schrader valve. I know I'm getting fuel because I didn't tight the fuel filter all the way and had fuel coming out. Retightened and no leaks. Thank you tom hoping it's something easy

Old 05-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Baja

Are you getting spark?

Old 05-03-2014, 03:44 PM
4th Gear

Yes. Removed spark plug and held it up to the exhaust manifold and had a friend crank. Getting good spark. I just removed the fuel line on the injector rail and had No fuel. Going to remove line before the fuel filter and see if I can get fuel.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AKFrankenstein
Yes. Removed spark plug and held it up to the exhaust manifold and had a friend crank. Getting good spark. I just removed the fuel line on the injector rail and had No fuel. Going to remove line before the fuel filter and see if I can get fuel.

I had a problem similar to this. Use a test light to verify fuel pump is actually working. The harness from the fuel pump to the actual harness is known to go bad. I battled this for a while until I replaced it. On another occasion I could not get fuel but could hear and knew the fuel pump was working. I pulled the pump out of the tank and the feed line had come off inside the tank so it was just pumping fuel out of the hose and never leaving the tank. Fixed it at drove home....all this was after midnight in the parking lot of a dirt track race. Fun times!

Old 05-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Baja

Yeah the in tank hose is plastic, can be replaced with 1' of fuel injection line with fuel injection clamps and a loop in the line

Old 05-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Pro Wrench

I don't even recall how I fixed mine but whatever I did its holding up. It was late and I was a little buzzed and ready to get home!

Old 05-03-2014, 09:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

You buzzed?? Naaaaaahhhh.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Your gonna be a lot worse than buzzed when you drink that bootleg! I'm working on my buzz right now actually

Quick Reply: Discovery XD Died while driving