Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   do you have to reprogram the ecm (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/do-you-have-reprogram-ecm-41044/)

honda50r 06-03-2011 10:32 PM

Hey man, my advice; get out. Get out from underneath it, no vehicle is worth that much trouble. Just my opinion though, I admire your will.

Danny Lee 97 Disco 06-03-2011 10:49 PM

There are a couple of different approaches you can take. It appears that you bought one with some significant problems, many of which are probably due to PO neglect.

It is usually best to determine PRIOR to PURCHASE if it is going to be worth dealing with and using that to set the price so you do not overpay for someone else's "Problem Child".

If you bought it in bad shape without realizing just how bad, you may want to dump it quick and avoid the expense and misery.

Or you may want to just "Hunker Down, attack it methodically, get it right and keep it. That is the approach I have had to take since buying mine. I am the BEST DAMN ONE TO FIX IT THAT I CAN AFFORD!!!! NOONE ELSE IS GOING TO COME RUSHING OVER AND DO IT FOR ME ARE THEY?

PRAYER DON'T REALLY HELP MUCH UNLESS YOU REMEMBER TO OFFER SCARIFICES WORTHY OF THE ROVER GODS.

Just DownLoad the RAVE or the RAVEN, study it up real good. buy good whiskey and settle downto work your way through it. Or maybe Honda50R will give you his.

moomoo 06-04-2011 09:32 PM

I got two manuals one haines and the rover shop manual....I also have the Rave...so I can look at it while I am sitting here.

Well the po wasn't forth coming with all her shortcomings....karma will get you. I am not bitter . So far I have tax and parts total 2480 in her. the engine is running good now...need to flush the radiator and replace the lower hose, and check that fan.

The front end suspension well who knows yet...saw today that the panhard rod had no bushings left on the driver side might explain the death wabble eh?

The point is...this...I got a disco with a motor that only has 28k ( I don't believe the PO did the rebuild seriously) on it once the issues are taken care of she will be a good vehicle and I can put a lot of miles on her.
Yes it may cost a sum of money in the beginning and no I don't have eternally deep pockets...I am learning a lot and I am not cussing yet. Do I have a right to complain of course :)
My wife wife is being really cool about this....and I will come out on top. If I come across something I can not or will not do I will pay someone else if I have to...but I am eager and willing to learn and I am cheap. Should the PO have told me what else was going on with the vehicle yes he should have. Should I have inspected it better before I bought it yes...live and learn.
There was a mom and pop used shop not too far from my house selling one of these with 147k on it for 2800. I am staying positive even when strangers cuss at me and admonish me for pulling into their drive way. This is the first vehicle I have purchase in 9 years. I wanted it to be something I could work on and learn from and maybe even refurbish...I could never afford a new one of these nor could I afford to pay what one would cost with no work needed. So far it has issues but nothing that is unattainable...even with my limited skill set...but again I am learning. I can build you a computer hehehe now time for me to learn how to wrench....too hot today to be out there sweatin whisky:) nice cold German Beer ahh now your talkin.

Thomas Alberts 11-02-2020 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by LRD2&ME (Post 247947)
I have switched ECU's on my old 97D1 and my newer 99D1 and never had to reprogram. But check this site out for further information.

http://www.autodiagnos.com/sites/def...rover_sync.pdf

Seems like this is a bad link.

hrhoward 11-03-2020 12:02 PM

They don't make links like they used to. It's only 9.5 years old. :dunno: