Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Door Lock Actuators

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door Lock Actuators

I've read several pages of threads on this and can't quite find one that matches whats happening.

Up to a few weeks ago a key tun in the drivers door would lock all five doors. Not sure when it happened but now only the driver and passenger front doors lock automatically. The other three don't.

The light flashes three times. The back door won't lock automatically, but the alarm goes off if I open it so the alarm is arming.

I can manually lock the rear driver and passenger doors, but not the trunk door.

I haven't messed with any electronics since the window ECU, but that was early this summer. It's all worked since then.

Is there a quick fix here? I suppose it's possible all three remaining acuators failed at the same time, but I tend to doubt it. I'm guessing I did something to make it do this, but maybe not.

Not one to lose any sleep over, but any suggestions would help. thx.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree with you that all three door locks went bad at the same time is not probable.
However I have no answer for this.
I would lean towards the door lock ECU being cracked like the window lift ECU.
But I have no idea where it is located.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
I agree with you that all three door locks went bad at the same time is not probable.
However I have no answer for this.
I would lean towards the door lock ECU being cracked like the window lift ECU.
But I have no idea where it is located.
Ok, thanks. I'll keep digging.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have an alarm? If so, it controls the locking function, if not, it is in the left front actuator.

There are some test procedures on p 386 of the electrical manual for a 95.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not sure if I can offer you too much help as I have learned it is more often easier (and cheaper) to replace factory security than to repair it, however in this case it may be a simple fix. What I can tell you is that our power locking system is different than "most" vehicles on the road when it comes to operating it with an aftermarket system. Basically there is one control wire (yellow/pink) running between the drivers door and the alarm ECU if you apply ground to this wire it will unlock all the doors, and if you interrupt the normal signal on this wire (temporarily cut it) it will lock all the doors. I cant say for sure if this will help you at all but it may give you a way to test the system to help find the problem.

here is a schematic for wiring aftermarket equipment to the locks: http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/diagr...%20DIAGRAM.pdf

having a bad ground could be a problem, as well as a bad connection somewhere.

Last edited by Rover Chris; 12-24-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

After looking through the wiring schematics, I could probably walk you through some testing procedures to help pinpoint the problem. If your interested get a multimeter and plan for a day that you can spend a couple hours and I will give you an explanation of what wires, where they are, and how to test them. These tests will help us locate the problem, then you can decide if it is worth fixing (as I said it could be an easy fix, or you could need one or more new components).

Old 12-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
After looking through the wiring schematics, I could probably walk you through some testing procedures to help pinpoint the problem. If your interested get a multimeter and plan for a day that you can spend a couple hours and I will give you an explanation of what wires, where they are, and how to test them. These tests will help us locate the problem, then you can decide if it is worth fixing (as I said it could be an easy fix, or you could need one or more new components).
Thanks, I appreciate that. I would love nothing more than to stay out in the garage all day today as there are about 20 people in my house, but I think my wife would kill me. Maybe next week.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Do you have an alarm? If so, it controls the locking function, if not, it is in the left front actuator.

There are some test procedures on p 386 of the electrical manual for a 95.
Yes, I have an alarm. Are you referring to the electrical section in the rave, or is this a separate manual. If so, how do I get my hands on it? thx.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle

http://www.landroverresource.com/

there are a few different ones, and not all of them have the schematics.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever figure this one out? Have some fun lock issues myself..... Solution so far: Don't leave anything of value in the truck

Quick Reply: Door Lock Actuators