Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Dudes, I need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turf63
i THOUGHT that if i disconnected the battery for over a minute that it cleared the codes as well. The issue with autozone or advance lending out the scanner is that (at least in philadelphia) they stopped doing that at the ones ive been to because people kept stealing them. Gotta love philly! I'll def try and get the got reset the right way. I was trying to save up for a scanguageII anyway, but i really want my truck back. I think im going ot try and see if i can find a station that'll pass me, just so i can get the truck back down here, and then i can start methodically working through the issues. Geek, the upstreams are brand new, im (pretty) sure it's not them. But Brian (longhaul) is right, my truck does MOW through o2's. So maybe i'll have to check that ECM connection. If resetting it with the autozone monitor doesnt work, then i'll try and get it stickered and grab a scangauge and start working through things. the good news is that if it IS bad cats, it gives me an excuse to buy a welder. haha. Thank you guys for your input, i'll keep you posted. (it has sucked to not have my truck with the 13" of rain we got last week)
Best

Turf
Turf -
Depending on where you are in Philly, I am only about 2 hours South of you - about 20 minutes north of DC.
If you are having issues getting the codes read, let me know - we can probably figure out a place to meet and you can use my reader.

Or, I can send it to you via USPS and you can send it back when your done - your choice.

Good Luck!

Chris

Old 09-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by groundandpound
Turf -
Depending on where you are in Philly, I am only about 2 hours South of you - about 20 minutes north of DC.
If you are having issues getting the codes read, let me know - we can probably figure out a place to meet and you can use my reader.

Or, I can send it to you via USPS and you can send it back when your done - your choice.

Good Luck!

Chris
Hey man. I'm right in center city. I have a scanner you can use. It's a cheapo but I've been using it just fine for live feed and to clear. Helped me get inspected. Hit me up at the Framers Workroom at 2103 walnut or give me a call. 215 866 7180.

-James

Old 09-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by groundandpound
Turf -

Good Luck!

Chris

Chris, very generous thanks. and actually GeekIM reached out to help me too, he's just in south jersey. I'm currently slated to get soem help from geek on sunday, but as i was just telling him, the house and truck woes are now complicated by my wife having been in the hospital for three days. She has a really bad kidney infection and they've kept her for three days. SIGH. whats the expression? "when it rains, it hurricanes?" haha. None the less, i want to thank all of you guys for your support. The truck may be taking a back seat to the wife for a while. But thank you guys. If it ever gets resolved i'll obviously shout it from the roof tops, i have spring spacers and hellas collecting dust, just waiting to be put on the truck
(not to mention LRDII's demo snorkel he's sending me, hint hint, haha).
Seriously, thank you all

Turf

Old 09-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No worries - I sincerely hope your wife's health returns quickly and you get the House sorted.
Good luck with the Rover!

Old 09-14-2011, 07:21 PM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

Seriously Turf, tell her to get well soon... so you can get back to the Rover!

No, seriously, get well soon.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Haha. It's both. Trust me. Seriously she'll get better. But I miss my rover seriously. I have scanner in hand (thanks a ton James) hoping to zap some codes and get this thing inspected ASAP. I NEED it.
Thank you all for your well wishes.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

UPDATE: the saga continue. I borrowed a scanner and the codes the truck had were initially 1191 "Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Open Downstream" and 1194 "Oxygen Sensor Heater High Resistance Downstream" but i had replaced the downstream o2's so i assumed this code was wrong. Cleared the codes, and drove it all day today. Finally, the check engine light came back on BUT......this time NO O2 codes!! It came back with a 0300 "multiple misfire" and an 0303 "cylinder 3 misfire" and a 1316 "Misfire Excessive Emissions Fault" I'm waiting for the truck to cool down now and i'll check my new kingsbourne 8mm's as im not THRILLED with their fit. but to be fair i didnt get the wider looms to hold them. i just never liked how they did(n't) click onto the plugs well. If it's just a loose plug wire, then i think i might have this thing licked! Does anybody think that it could also be a plug gap? I gapped em myself but do i need to go back and check all of them? I'm close, i feel good about this. let me know what you guys think.

Turf

although the 1316 is a little disconcerting, thoughts?

Last edited by turf63; 09-17-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: 1316, not 1361
Old 09-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

just searched the 1316 code. On it's own, it doesnt sound good. Sticking valves? I wish i had known that when i had the valley pan out. But when i had the heads open doing the valley pan, they looked good. Do you think theres a possibility it's NOT sticking valves when it's in conjunction with my other codes? the heads loked good when they were open. Alos, PT said there's no way to clean the valve without tearing down if it is sticking, do we agree with that? Deep breath.....im gonna get this truck stickered

Old 09-18-2011, 08:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Talking

I had sticky valves, or sticky valve. No one seemed to be able to diagnose it except for a guy on the Motorcars forum - no disrespect intended. I replaced the VSS, and did the Seafoam. No joy. It's exhaust valves that get stuck and Seafoam will not help them. I think it may have been from the PO using regular gas, but it is not uncommon. I pulled the heads and took them to a good shop that did a complete valve job. The guy also shimmed a couple of the valve springs that were weak. He thought that might be a contributor to the problem. It's been a couple of years now, and no problems. It's not a terrible job, if you take your time and follow the instructions. Altogether with gaskets, valve job, new head bolts it cost me $500 - $600. It was hard to see when the heads were off, but the last exhaust valve back on the right was a different color than the rest. It must have been near being burned (or burnt ?).

Old 09-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Sticky Valves

"Ok, ya wanna hate me now or later?
I swear that I didn't notice the 1316 code before, so shame on me. But almost without fail, if you have a P1316 code, that is a mechanical misfire.....exhaust valves are sticking bud."

That's the reply I got from Ken Karr at Motorcars when I reported a missfire are highway speeds. And he was right. May not be your problem, but ... just trying to help.

Quick Reply: Dudes, I need help