Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

ecm? cant pull codes running really bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
On a lighter note, Will Tillery has a bunch of used ECUs. It's where I got mine and he had it to me in 2 days.

That is good to know, how much was it?
I think I paid 100 bucks for it. Don't quote me. You can always just give him a call and see...

Will Tillery
434-251-9331

I don't have any association with him, but have bought various things from him in the past without issue. (my ECU, my D90 springs, replacement electric fans etc)

Old 05-19-2011, 05:26 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well it was the ecm...I pulled it out of the rover it was so caroded it was gooey haven't ever seen anything like it before. I thought what do I have to lose so I took it apart. a couple of the screws I had to drill out. the washer fluid kills these boxes. the boards are made for war though you were absolutely right. I spent four hours cleaning this thing out with contact cleaner and q tips. The boards themselves the gold tracers that is are protected with a thin film of plastic so that was not a problem and I used a circuit pen on the few solder points that were a little copper ish.....put it back together and glued the seam with bond 5000....painted the outside of the box with rustoleum and then high heat paint and put it back in. I now get an uplink with the scanner.....it idles better but I did turn it off really quick because I saw a little smoke over there I did not smell anything burning though but I decided to let it cure a little bit more so I left it there that was yesterday. Today I am going to clean the plugs and turn it over again...I really do think it fixed or at least one of my main problems....I bet if people really knew how easy that was to do they would try to salvage the ecm before they took it to a dealer. The main problem was really the corrosion from the aluminum box shorting the connections not the connections themselves or the chips.....The verdict is still out but I bet this works.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:01 AM
Rock Crawling

Good to hear that you are making progress. And thank you for keeping this thread updated for future reference.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

That's awesome dude. good work. Photos?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Gotta love these trucks.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Three Wheeling

no I didn't take any photos I don't have a camera at the moment sorry...I thought about it would have been nice to document for you guys. You know I was thinking about this a few hours ago....the board is coated in a thin coat of plastic and nothing was obviously burnt....I bet I could have saved myself a lot of time and ran it under water gently and dried it gently with a hair drier on low and then used the contact cleaner and the circuit pen and then the rest of the process would have been able to do it in a couple of hours....so far so good....there is still a miss but I will figure that out I need to pull the plugs and clean them really good..I think the ecm is fine I just think it isn't the only problem.. now that the ecm is back. I feel really foolish for not knowing this but I haven't found the tool kit yet is it in the back door I am thinking I haven't looked there yet....I have two manuals a shop manual that you guys call the rave I have a hard copy and a haines and the owners manual and I swear I haven't found the darn thing yet and I need that tool to pull the plugs. you would think something like that would be a simple search in google but no why they designed the block that way I will never understand.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:11 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All you need to pull the plugs is a standard deep well spark-plug socket... Helps to also have a short extension and a ratchet with a swivel head... but I've had a little practice now and can have all 8 plugs out and replaced in under 10 minutes....

Old 05-20-2011, 06:21 AM
Three Wheeling

I have a standard deep well spark plug socket and I tried to get it to go down over socket#1 and it did not fit for me don't know what I am doing wrong. maybe I'm not holding my face right

Old 05-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You may have the wrong sized socket, there are 2 spark plug sizes.
Spark plugs are cheap, $12 for all 8 and $.99 for a spark plug gaper.
So for $15 you can install all new spark plugs and rule those completely.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Three Wheeling

the previous owner had bosh platinums in her and they are 11/32 no wonder I put the champions in her and I gappd them correctly filled her up with premium and put injection cleaner in it is running much better still work to do. She started to get hot on our test run that is when I realized it was low on antifreeze and hadn't been changed since 2006 so that goes on the list...topped it off and the needle went right to the middle where it was supposed to be so I know the thermostat is working correctly. when I pulled in to the drive way I hit the wrong window button and the driver rear came off track....geez just replaced the regulator on the driver side yesterday.....Lots to do but when I am done she will be reliable. o2's very soon....and I will know it is done. Oil first I believe....don't think this guy knew what he was doing I am trying hard not to fault him I do believe he tried. I am by no means a mechanic but I am getting better it is a learning experience.

Quick Reply: ecm? cant pull codes running really bad