Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 01:01 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ecu?

Hello
I really need your help and advice about an issue with my Rover. I was having an issue where the electric fans would not ever engage and was trying to fix one night after work (in the dark, and in a rush) I disconnected the coolant temp sensor (the one by the gauge sender) because I thought it was the switch to the electric fans. I then hooked test leads to the connector and applied power from the battery! The car instantly stalled and now will not run unless I keep the revs up with the gas. I think I may have ruined the ECU? I have searched the net a bit and I think that the sensor was directly connected to the ECU to provide engine temperature to the fuel injectors? Can I fix my Rover or is it a goner?

Old 02-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hanomag
Hello
I really need your help and advice about an issue with my Rover. I was having an issue where the electric fans would not ever engage and was trying to fix one night after work (in the dark, and in a rush) I disconnected the coolant temp sensor (the one by the gauge sender) because I thought it was the switch to the electric fans. I then hooked test leads to the connector and applied power from the battery! The car instantly stalled and now will not run unless I keep the revs up with the gas. I think I may have ruined the ECU? I have searched the net a bit and I think that the sensor was directly connected to the ECU to provide engine temperature to the fuel injectors? Can I fix my Rover or is it a goner?
You'll probably need a new (used) ECU. To be sure you'll have to check the ETM to see what electrics are inline with that circuit and might be fried.

Last edited by EricTyrrell; 02-19-2015 at 01:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hanomag (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 06:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
You'll probably need a new (used) ECU. To be sure you'll have to check the ETM to see what electrics are inline with that circuit and might be fried.
I have an update on the Disco. A member on the forum contacted me and gave me a great deal on a new (used) ECU to see if that would fix it. Well I should be getting the ECU soon and I will be installing it as soon as it comes….but in the mean time I figured why don't I pull the ECU and see if I can visually stop the issue. Well I did just that, I pulled the ECU and found a tracer wire that was a little burned and smelled like electric smoke. I soldered in a new wire and now the Disco runs great so I am sure that the ECU is the only issue.

I am very happy and excited to install the new ECU when it comes now that I am sure that will fix the issue and keep me reliably on the road.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:42 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

What year is your truck?

Old 03-02-2015, 11:25 PM
Drifting

It is a 1998

Old 03-03-2015, 07:07 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

If you install the repacement and it is stuck on high idle you will need it reset

Old 03-07-2015, 06:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Can resetting an ECU be done by mailing it to someone or does it have to be installed in the vehicle? Also what system is required to reset it?
I recall reading only one type of system had the full capability to reset an our ECUs.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

You need TestBook to reset it.
I think PT Schram may do it by mail.